Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Placings.
 Grasslans
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
4/28/2016 1:54:09 AM reply with quote send message to Grasslans Object to Post   

I feel like such a new person (which I am but alas, I was hoping not to feel this new)
But I am a bit confused about placings and the more I think I've worked it out, the more confused I become.
I understand 1st/2nd/3rd and then I understand that all the males that got firsts then are judged for winners dog and the same with bitches for winners bitch.
Then i get slightly confused but then your first place champion dog then gets judged against the winners dog/bitch for best of breed?

And if I am right in my understanding then it becomes placings of 1st/2nd/3rd/4th in breed.
but say in the likes of this breed -
www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=ACES+WILD+ESKIE+EXTRAVAGANZA+NO.+209&breed=Keeshond
Where my dog won is his Open class/winners dog and then got 'Best of Winners' I assume that means that just means he was the better out of the non-titled dogs on the day?

Which then leads me to my next question.
Another breed this time - www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=ACES%20WILD%20ESKIE%20EXTRAVAGANZA%20NO.%20209&breed=Belgian%20Tervuren
Where my girl got 1st Open Bitch/winners bitch and then best of opposite sex (which I think means that she was the best bitch shown on the day in her breed according to the judge) so that also means that she came 3rd best in breed on the day, seeing as 1st/2nd were both dogs.

I'm going to get the hang of this at some point I'm sure. Both of them got their title today though, so happy about that : )
 Lace Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
4/29/2016 10:45:08 AM reply with quote send message to Lace Dreams Object to Post

I'm not sure about Best of Winners but here's a rundown of the titles.

www.showdog.com/help/topic.aspx?id=10

Alexandria
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
4/30/2016 7:22:05 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

Your understanding is pretty much correct

In Breed competition you have the “Dog Classes” first and then the “Bitch Classes”
(The ‘classes’ are for untitled dogs and would be Puppy, 12-18 Months, Open, Bred By, American Bred…)
In each class the judge will place the dogs 1,2,3,4….

For “Winners” – the judge will look at all of the dogs that placed 1st and choose Winners Dog and Reserve Winners Dog and then repeat for Winners Bitch and Reserve Winners Bitch.

One of two Winners (Dog/Bitch) will also be selected as Best of Winners. (In the game this is sometimes shown and sometimes inferred.) The importance of BOW (Best of Winners) has to do with points.

If there is a major for Dogs and Winners Dog gets 5 points, but there is only one bitch and she is Best of Winners – then she will also get 5 points, since she beat the Winners Dog.

At this point the Champions enter the ring along with Winners Dog and Winners Bitch. From this group the judge will select Best of Breed and Best of Opposite.

SD shows do show the placement at Breed level of 1,2,3,4 – and you often have to infer a couple of the spots. In your Belgian Tervuren example – the Winners Dog is also Best of Winners / 2nd in Breed. (Notice he got the same points as Winners Bitch even though there were fewer dogs.)

Your dog is inferred 3rd in Breed/Best of Opposite Sex. Which means she was the best dog of the opposite sex to Best of Breed in the breed.

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.