Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : Is Showdog at risk?
 jaime1985
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/4/2016 7:38:23 PM reply with quote send message to jaime1985 Object to Post   

So I learned today that Showcat and a few other games are shutting next year. I know it has been said that Showdog is intended to be kept on but is there a risk it might not be? Kinda worried sad :(

Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2016 9:52:36 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Well as it was said, SD is not closing. And if by any chance it were to close, it would not be for a while considering even though SC and other games are closing, they aren't closing until 2017. So worse case scenario if Jeff were to announce the closing of SD tomorrow, it would at least stay up for about a year. I would think SD brings one of the most, if not the most interest which in turn brings the most money, plus for the most part we have an OK community

That's another reason why people need to realize we need to cut Jeff some slack, he specifically said in his message that he was closing a site ( that was actually popular ) because the people were becoming too much for him to handle. So we all need to think 2 or 3 times before jumping him every time there is an issue.

I think we are in good shape if we keep up our active user base
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2016 10:43:08 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

Woah... did he only send the message on the other sites? I haven't played sc, th, sh or showcattle in many of years but still interested and sad to see any of them go
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
5/5/2016 1:26:11 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

posted by Dead Until Dark
Woah... did he only send the message on the other sites? I haven't played sc, th, sh or showcattle in many of years but still interested and sad to see any of them go
The forum post on SC: www.showcats.com/forum/read.aspx?id=29315
 Strange Fellows
Basic User

Basic User
5/5/2016 4:07:05 AM reply with quote send message to Strange Fellows Object to Post

I've joined showdog.com only recently, and I think it's a great game. I wouldn't worry about it being shut down too much: Closing some of the other, smaller sites might actually increase traffic here, since people who like the concept and idea might just join the virtual dog breeding community.
 jaime1985
Basic User

Basic User
5/5/2016 5:58:05 AM reply with quote send message to jaime1985 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Thank you for replying Jeff, that has put my (and I'm sure many others) mind at rest.

You do a great job, in what must be a hard market and I hope it goes on for a long while yet. I made a thread not so long back where it became apparent that the site is very important to its users happy :)

ETA erm, I'm sure there was a reply from Jeff there when I started replying

-----
Last edited by jaime1985 on 5/5/2016 5:59:10 AM
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
5/5/2016 5:58:39 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

Is Showdog at risk?

No.

Showdog is 20x larger than any of the sites I announced are shutting down yesterday.

Showdog and Showcattle have enough of a natural interest that they can keep enough people interested. The smaller niche sites I branched out into ten years ago are the ones that don't have enough interest in the species the game is about to keep going in a time when apps have changed where people spend their time.

They had good runs, ten years is a long time for any online game, let alone games based on breeding pigs or cats. They're just past the point where I can reaonably justify taking focus away from areas of growth to keep them going.

Trophyhorse is being shut down for reasons other than just amount of users/revenue. It made enough to keep going but it's a quality of life issue related to dealing with a certain segment of the user base.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
5/5/2016 6:06:48 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Jeff,

It sounds like you're doing the best thing for your business by shutting down the quieter sections, but more importantly removing yourself from a situation of toxic people. You don't need that in your life happy :)

Let's hope this brings more people to the BEST of the sites - Showdog! laugh :D
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
5/5/2016 6:15:14 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

jaime1985, yes, it was. I did a delete/edit to add the first sentence in there to make it a bit more clear what I was replying to.
 jaime1985
Basic User

Basic User
5/5/2016 6:15:59 AM reply with quote send message to jaime1985 Object to Post

No worries, just thought I was going mad there for a second xD
 Lace Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
5/5/2016 9:57:53 AM reply with quote send message to Lace Dreams Object to Post

What about ShowHorse? How does it hang as of now?

I'm so glad SD is staying...I dunno what I'd do with myself if it closed.

Alexandria
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/5/2016 2:00:38 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

I've been here since (almost) the very beginning, I joined SD Nov. 2003 and I think it went live in July of that year.

I still find alot of enjoyment here and I intend to stay as long as you keep it going.

You deserve a big THANKS! you deal with the public and that's never an easy job. I know, I too work with the public.

Thanks for keeping SD alive all these years and thanks for continuing to work to resolve all our "issues".
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/5/2016 5:00:22 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

That's upsetting. ShowCats was my favorite game for years and I still love it. I can't believe all my hard work on there will...poof. be gone. I had a lifetime free sub because I helped make the Help Center and that's something I'll miss too ;P Just messing. But honestly I loved ShowCats so much and I had a legacy there! I'm going to miss it so much!
 kc meadows
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2016 3:57:47 AM reply with quote send message to kc meadows Object to Post

Just in support of Jeff I went on Trophyhorse out of curiousity he is so correct in closing that game for the reasons he has stated I couldn't believe some of the things that are posted in there forum. We seem to be a very nice group of players. I have never had a major problem with someone on this game. I had a misunderstanding with a player and it was resolved very quickly and I have no issues with anyone. Everyone here seems to really love the game and show eachother respect.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/6/2016 8:51:39 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I agree KC. I played TrophyHorse from day 1 for a few years and had 3 stables. Then I quit. Over the years I have reopened some of them and quit again. I mostly stayed out of the forums. There are good people there but the antics of some of them are really over the top.

ShowDog, has by far the best community. Sure there are a few 'spoilers' out there but I guess as long as they stay in their own breeds they don't impact the overall game. Perhaps one of the pluses for having such a large pool of breeds to choose from.

I was also one of the original players on ShowHorse. Originally it too had a larger and more community spirited group but somehow so many of them drifted away and SH became quite polarized - perhaps the polarization came first. Anyway it might be wishful thinking/rose-coloured glasses, but I feel the pendulum is swinging back.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 5/6/2016 9:05:21 AM
 Lace Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2016 9:02:39 AM reply with quote send message to Lace Dreams Object to Post

posted by kc meadows
Just in support of Jeff I went on Trophyhorse out of curiousity he is so correct in closing that game for the reasons he has stated I couldn't believe some of the things that are posted in there forum. We seem to be a very nice group of players. I have never had a major problem with someone on this game. I had a misunderstanding with a player and it was resolved very quickly and I have no issues with anyone. Everyone here seems to really love the game and show eachother respect.
Same. I've seen a few mild fights in my time but I was astounded by TH. I can probably count on one hand the times I've seen a thread on SD escalate and I've been here in various accounts for over 4 years.

Good for you for cutting that out of your life Jeff and best luck for the future.

*prays that non migrate over here*

Alexandria
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/8/2016 3:46:32 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

I used to play TrophyHorse before the move to the new layouts and I was terrible at it. The whole concept was confusing for me for some reason but I kept trying my best to play it and make some kind of a profit. However, any time I went on the forums I would be snapped at and people would scare me off of the forums because of their childish behavior towards someone who didn't quite grasp the game.

"Use the Help Center", they would say without much interest. I had small questions that I couldn't find the answers to in the Help Center, and I knew it would be faster just to comment on the forum and ask my question, but I was often met with nastiness and condescension. TH is full of psychos.
 Ruadhan
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/8/2016 6:22:50 PM reply with quote send message to Ruadhan Object to Post

I too took a look at the Trophy Horse forums and was shocked and saddened by how cruel some people were.

I am a member of a different horse racing sim and while I do not know much about horse racing, the entire community is quite welcoming and helpful.

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.