Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Showing Bitches After Breeding?
 Rock City Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/31/2016 1:12:03 AM reply with quote send message to Rock City Kennel Object to Post   

I'm curious if this is a common practice or not. After some time off after whelping, is it common for bitches to go back to the show ring or is it usually a retirement point after they're bred for the first time?

I'm trying to decide what to do myself and I don't want to do something that is frowned upon or something like that. Thanks for the input!
 Karen RR
Basic User

Basic User
5/31/2016 2:14:44 AM reply with quote send message to Karen RR Object to Post

I don't know about anyone else, but I show mine in between litters.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/31/2016 9:03:54 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Yep, me too - couple of weeks maternity leave and back to work if they are doing well.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
5/31/2016 5:02:45 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

I personally never bother to send my girls back into the ring after they've been bred from.

If they are doing well in the ring but aren't 'Campaign-worthy' then I pull them from the ring once they've achieved their GCH title. They then move on to breeding and are bred until I'm done with them, then they're FHd.

For those few girls who are Campaign-worthy I show them for as long as they continue to do well in the ring, then I breed them at the end of their show career.
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/1/2016 10:22:50 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

If you breed her today, June 1, she drops on June 6. You have to wait 6 days beyond dropping before they can show again.
So, count 11 days out of the ring.
This helps for timing of Nationals or World Cup.
I do it all the time.

Carol
 Lace Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
6/2/2016 9:08:47 AM reply with quote send message to Lace Dreams Object to Post

Sometimes, I will breed a dog right after winning a championship and then put her back in the show ring to earn GCH.

But that's the exception to the rule. Most of my girls I pull out after they earn CH because they're just kinda mediocre and I don't see them earning a GCH and they're more valuable to me as broodies. If I'm going to try for a GCH, then I don't breed them til they've accomplished that as well.

Alexandria
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/2/2016 2:07:11 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

""If I'm going to try for a GCH, then I don't breed them til they've accomplished that as well.""

I totally agree here. I have had few bitches that I have not bred until well after their GCH. The rest of the Ch bitches, I try to enter in the Nationals but if they are not ready, oh well.

-----
Last edited by Clwyd Cockers on 6/2/2016 2:07:25 PM
 MagicGlo
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/9/2016 6:06:29 PM reply with quote send message to MagicGlo Object to Post

I breed and two days later stop their showing. They have their pups and aren't ready to show for 5 days after, a total of 8 days down. They do just as well after pups as they did before.
IdahoLaura
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/9/2016 7:53:13 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Regardless to gender, if a dog is winning consistently... I keep it out for as long as I can.

You might not get her winning traits into your breeding pool as quick as you'd like, but a true winner doesn't come along everyday.

Will

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.