Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Best ways to make Money?
 WindSwept Valley
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/31/2016 6:19:11 PM reply with quote send message to WindSwept Valley Object to Post   

Hello!

I am thinking of either source breeding a new line or working from a couple established lines for a few generations to make a new line. This, though, will require me to somehow make money in other ways than show dogs.This means I need a way to make money.

I know that creating shows could work, but those take money, too. I currently sell sessions, but would the 15x salary with no sessions be a better idea? Or should I offer to session and/or finish dogs? I can draw, though on pad and paper, would that be a good idea?

What other ways are there?

Thank you for the advice,
Windy

(PS: I'm still looking into breeds to join happy :) )
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
5/31/2016 7:42:50 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

The 15 x Salary isn't a good idea, as generally you make more money from selling as many sessions as you can.

Keep your numbers down to whats 100% necessary for your breeding stock so your food bill is low.

Feed your studs Old Boy Adult as its the cheapest and doesn't impact on the condition of the pups.

Offer your studs up for $50-$100.

Advertise when you have dogs for sale to increase chances of sales.

Sponsoring shows isn't a great way to make money (well it depends really) but if you set the entry fee for $5 (more people are likely to enter) but you make less money off the entry fees. If you set it for $10 your earnings are slightly higher. Its VERY rare though to ever earn more than what you spent to host the show. (Unless your lucky enough to get a OH judge like Randal Harris as generally the number of entries are higher).

If you've got a good understanding of how to finish dogs well (understand which judges like the breed and which handlers to pick for each judge) then you can definitely offer to finish dogs for other people. But to be honest it also doesn't really earn that much money depending on how high your fees are. When you factor in the cost of dog food, sessions, and entry fees for the period of time it takes you to finish them sometimes your expenditures are higher than the fee itself.
 WindSwept Valley
Basic User

Basic User
5/31/2016 10:49:35 PM reply with quote send message to WindSwept Valley Object to Post

Thank you for the advice, Dalkeith. happy :)

Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/1/2016 8:20:20 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Sell your sessions daily. Put your dogs on Pet House which is the best food you can get cheaply. Don't enter a ton of dogs at once, maybe just focus on a couple of them that will definitely make you money from payouts. Log in daily and get that bonus. happy :)

Of course part of the object of the game is to sell your dogs so sell puppies when you have good pups!
 Z3
Basic User

Basic User
8/16/2016 5:03:06 PM reply with quote send message to Z3 Object to Post

Maybe this answer you will not like: Making money - the best way is keeping in every day, play a long time and money comes from alone. As I started I wanted much and all - now I take lots of things easier and so money almost is coming from alone. the secret is the time factor how long you are playing and be patient!
 Agile Sportsdogs
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2016 8:32:24 AM reply with quote send message to Agile Sportsdogs Object to Post

Since the increase in sessions so i can sell more, none of my kennels (10) have money problems anymore. I use outside studs when needed, stack a lot of my own shows (most of my kennels are in rare breeds) and do a lot of breeding. Not sure why you would have $$ problems, particularly if you are not showing as you could sell all your sessions everyday plus log in bonus?

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.