Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Co-Ownership Questions
 LongView Shores
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/8/2016 9:43:38 PM reply with quote send message to LongView Shores Object to Post   

I've been handling a dog for a close friend of mine for the past two years, and due to her declining health she wants to take me into co-ownership in case anything is to happen to her. I have some questions that I couldn't seem to find the answer to in the AKC rules.

1) can three people co-own a dog? this dog is already co-owned with the breeder (who is fine with me co-owning)

2) where in the heck is the application for co-ownership? would I use a regular transfer form or something else?

And before any one asks we are working out the legalities and will be signing a contract providing this is possible. Thanks for any input in advance.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/9/2016 7:44:46 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Get EVERYTHING in writing and make sure you, the breeder, and the current owner sign it.

Plan out every possible situation that could happen and get it in writing.

Co-ownerships are a pain the rump.

Will
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
6/9/2016 8:24:01 PM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

The current co-owners sign the back of the dog's papers adding you as a new owner (just like any other transfer of ownership) and send into the AKC. Should be returned to you in about a week with your name added happy :)

My best bitch has 5 co-owners so 3 is nothing!!

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.