Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Looking for Source Project
 Chenoa Valley
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/29/2016 12:40:46 PM reply with quote send message to Chenoa Valley Object to Post   

Hi everyone. I just upgraded to a family account. I was looking for a breed that could benefit from being source bred in one of my kennels. I've always wanted to take on such a project and figure with my other kennels to keep my busy that I might be able to take on a breed or 2 that is in need. I'm open to suggestions.
 Edge of Tomorrow
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2016 3:59:51 AM reply with quote send message to Edge of Tomorrow Object to Post

Portuguese Pointers might interest you happy :)

A bunch of us decided to revive the breed at the start of April this year as there wasn't any active kennels in the breed.

We all bought a stack of source broods - and have been breeding them and their following generations to some hidden studs in abandoned kennels that have 'current' SOP (ie old dogs that have SOPs over 80%).

Most of the broods started off around 10.00% and we now have dogs that are close to 50.00% SOP depending on the lines etc.

The breed has four colours:
Brown
Brown & White
Yellow
Yellow & White

Most of the hidden studs are Yellow/White. So we are mostly focusing on the other 3 colours.

For more info feel free to check out these links:

www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=545076

www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=547970

We're all happy to help get you started if you're interested happy :)

(We aren't currently showing in this breed as the SOPs aren't ready for the ring)
 Anachronism
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2016 4:04:33 AM reply with quote send message to Anachronism Object to Post

Another vote for Portuguese Pointers happy :) It is a very fun project
 Tabriz
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2016 9:17:01 AM reply with quote send message to Tabriz Object to Post

Bedlington Terriers could use another breeder, as well as Lowchen and Toy Poodles.

All breeds are nice to be in and could really benefit from either source being introduced or just breeding from what is around currently.

If interested in color breeding, Samoyeds would be good for white, and the Lagotto needs off-white to be caught up.

Best of luck happy :)
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/30/2016 11:09:26 PM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Silky Terriers could use another breeder. We only have 3 people at the moment.

We are a friendly group with lots of puppies that we just FH, all of our studs are $25.

We don't use handlers so everyone has an equal chance at points.

We could benefit greatly from some new blood being brought in, most of our dogs are all related through the old studs in abandoned kennels or through the broods we bought from Estrella.

-----
Last edited by Silk N Denim Terriers on 6/30/2016 11:10:46 PM
 Chenoa Valley
Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2016 11:26:37 AM reply with quote send message to Chenoa Valley Object to Post

So far I've chosen to work with Samoyeds and Portuguese Pointers in 2 of my other kennels. I'm still not sure what I will do with the third. I'm thinking perhaps a more competitive breed so I don't get bored while working in my source/color projects.

I'd like to find a friendly community of folks in a more popular breed, any ideas are welcome.
 Strange Fellows
Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2016 1:24:04 PM reply with quote send message to Strange Fellows Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Welcome to PP - I've one of my Kennels (Legacy League) dedicated to them. It's indeed a fun project. Let me know if you need a grown up Broody. Loads of puppies up for sale.

As for other, mor competetive breeds, I'd recommend Whippets - they're among the top 20 breeds, but could need some more dedicated breeders/show addicts.

I could also help out with:
- Borzois (Eremitage) - top 10 breed, super competitive, real fun to get them to 99+
- Italian Greyhounds (Sociatà Eccentrica) - top SOPs now 92+, so still a lot to do, quite active, many shows and
- Azawakh (Amadror) - great community, great improvments recently to 95+ SOPs.

Hope to see you in some of those breeds & let me know if I can help.

-----
Last edited by Strange Fellows on 7/2/2016 3:17:23 PM

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing