Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Contest? Any Interest?
 Chenoa Valley
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/7/2016 9:35:38 AM reply with quote send message to Chenoa Valley Object to Post   

We had a contest that ran a few years back for breeds in need. It was a ShowDog community contest. I will make an attempt to outline the way it worked here.

Step One
There was a thread created for nominating breeds in need. In order to nominate a breed you had to be working with it in your kennel currently. It also had to be a breed that fell into the bottom 25% on the breed list (141 - 188) or it had to have 3 or less breeders and less than 60 total dogs.

Step Two
Once the initial post had collected nominations for a short time, then the nominations were posted in a new thread. The idea is to vote on the breed you like best or felt was in most need of help and that poll was left open for a week or 2. Then, the top 3 breeds overall were chosen for the contest.

Step Three
Members could choose the breed they wanted to work with for the next 4 months. They would receive points for every dog they championed, every litter they bred. every champion they bred, etc... The catch is that each person who nominated their breed had to act as a mentor to all contestants that chose your breed. At the end there were prizes that could be won.

Does this sound like something any of you guys would be interested in doing? Would anyone like to help me organize it? Just wanted to see if there was enough interest in a contest like this. I can't remember who started it originally, but I thought it was a lot of fun.
 Wabi-Sabi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2016 10:31:00 AM reply with quote send message to Wabi-Sabi Kennels Object to Post

I would be interested in doing it happy :)
 Hart Park
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2016 11:26:40 AM reply with quote send message to Hart Park Object to Post

I would be as well
 Temora
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2016 4:04:45 AM reply with quote send message to Temora Object to Post

sounds great
 Lace Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2016 10:34:17 AM reply with quote send message to Lace Dreams Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I participated in this in like 2013 and enjoyed it for the most part. We did Lagotti if I remember correctly. I know the breed I would nominate too (from my other kennel) happy :)

So yep, I'm interested. happy :)

Edit: It appears my breed has moved significantly from where it was...shows how much I know hahaha.

Alexandria

-----
Last edited by Lace Dreams on 7/8/2016 10:54:29 AM
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/8/2016 2:21:08 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

What a money maker for the breed's kennel that gets picked.

Will
 Chenoa Valley
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2016 9:58:20 PM reply with quote send message to Chenoa Valley Object to Post

Well, yea. There is that. It's more about helping out the breeds that are struggling though. The kennels that made money also donated prize money for the folks that competed. I'm sure folks would do that again. Most of the people here seem to be genuinely nice people. I just thought it would be fun to get everyone together doing something.

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.