Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : Am I overreacting?
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/11/2016 10:44:40 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post   

Last Tuesday, I found a loose Doberman puppy (probably 5 or 6 months), no collar, behind a shopping center. Since it was friendly and got along well with my dog (who was crated in my car with me), I loaded her up and took her to my vet to see if she was microchipped. (She was not.) They took a picture of her and posted a lost dog announcement on the clinic's facebook page and I subsequently shared their post. I took her home with me and contacted the city animal shelter and told them if anyone was asking about a lost doberman, to contact me via email. They replied back and sent me a link to the city's "Found Pets" page. (They have a website that people can go to to see if anyone's found their missing pets.) I posted her picture and an ad. That same day (it was a busy day!), I contacted the local Doberman rescue group to see if they were willing to take her. Knowing that they have limited kennel space at their facility, I offered to foster her until she was adopted (pending approval to keep her at my boyfriend's house and he was find with it.) They contacted me the next day and said they would help find her a home.

NOTE: As a foster, the rescue will pay for her spay, microchippng, and any needed treatment or vaccines. Of course, once they do that, the dog becomes the property of Rescue. If a Foster chooses to keep the dog, they simply pay whatever the adoption fee is for that dog. (Fair enough, I think.)

I've gotten to know this puppy during the week and she is fantastic! She crates well, gets along with the two older dogs well, tolerates nail trims well, has not had any accidents in the house, already knew sit, and has since started learning down, place, and a few other tricks. She would rather be with me than away from me (making it all the more far fetched that this dog ran away from home. We think she was abandoned.) In my mind, I'm thinking this puppy would be great for someone with an active lifestyle or looking to participate in obedience, agility, or some other dog sport. I felt (and still feel) this puppy would be adopted fast because she has so many great qualities. If we didn't already have two dogs, we would keep her for ourselves, but two is our limit.

On Thursday, the person in charge of taking in dogs at the dobermen rescue (and who's been my contact for the rescue during this week) asked if I could bring her in on Sunday (today) to be microchipped. Sunday is also their Open House/Meet the Dogs day, so I'm guessing she would be exposed to potential adopters. (Of course, she wouldn't be allowed to go home with her new owner until she was seen by their vet and spayed.)

On Saturday (yesterday), my boyfriend asked me to send him a picture of the dog as a friend of his might be interested in taking it. The way it was originally described to me was that his wife is home alone a lot and they "were looking" for a dog that could also serve as a watchdog too in their home. They have at least two other older dogs that I can remember....a boxer and a dachshund. I thought they had a shepherd too and some cats, but I only went to their house once.

Saturday night, he emailed me at work to say his friend's wife wanted the dog. (I work in a laboratory, so no phones in the lab, hence the email.) What angered me was that there was already a plan to take her to the Rescue today (which I am still planning to do.) Plus, I'm not sure if she would be a good fit for this household. This puppy is very active and from what I can tell, it looks like she would be best suited to an active home--one that will do more than just keep her in the house, walk her from time to time, and let her run around in the backyard.

The other thing that bothers me is that they would just take her (i.e. free dog, unspayed when they take her, impulse "adoption".) All their dogs are spayed/neutered, so I don't feel they would not spay her. I told my boyfriend that if they were interested, they should adopt her through the rescue. Adoption fees for their dogs range from $150-$500 (most are around $250.) I explained to him that this includes vet checkup, spaying, microchipping, and up-to-date on all shots. I think that would at least cost $400 by itself. Plus, I added that, considering a Dobe from a reputable breeder often costs around $2500, paying a $500 adoption fee is really not much at all.

His argument is "Why should they have to pay the rescue to get the dog? We 'found' her a home." My argument is, "The adoption fee essentially covers what they're going to pay when they get all this done with their own vet, so what difference does it make?" My secondary argument is that I do not believe this household, while they will feed/provide vet care/a yard for her, will not be the best fit for such an intelligent and active puppy. I guess my other argument is that the Rescue screens their potential adopters, they have more experience with the breed than I do, and I trust that with their 20 years of operation, they would find her a suitable home. I suggested to the boyfriend that his friend fill out an adoption application through the Rescue and come up to the Open House today. However, he is adamant about the "Why should they have to pay to get her? We found her a home." and this just makes me livid!

So am I overreacting about not wanting to give her away to my boyfriend's friend? (I mean, the dog would have a home and that is better than what might have happened had I taken her to the shelter.) If they did things with their dogs, I'd be open to it, but I just don't know them well enough.

Please, PLEASE tell me if I'm overreacting. I feel very strongly about see that she gets adopted via the Rescue, but if this really is a ridiculous argument, I think it would be very helpful if the Showdog community (i.e. a third/neutral party) told me so.
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/11/2016 11:21:40 AM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

Interesting story - this dog deserves the best second chance possible and I think she should be homed via the rescue so that there is back up and supervision (hoping that the rescue is a good one that is!)I most certainly would not just hand her over to someone, esp as their major concern would appear to be the freebie dog aspect!

When it comes to dogs, I will always put the dog's interest first, the right home will totally understand that.If they don't - they were not the right home!!

Hope all goes well for her, I'd have her if I wasn't the wrong side of an ocean!!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/11/2016 2:18:39 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I don't think you are over reacting - you want what is best for the dog. Assuming that it is a well run rescue it would seem to be the best route for the dog's sake.

Do you dare ask the friends for a reference from their vet at least perhaps? Have you talked to the friends? Perhaps these might make a decision easier and if necessary back that decision up if you decide the friends are not the best option. Perhaps you will find that they would be an acceptable choice.

Good luck with whatever your decision is.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 9/11/2016 2:27:34 PM
 samshine
Basic User

Basic User
9/11/2016 9:18:35 PM reply with quote send message to samshine Object to Post

I have a strict policy when I breed a litter - I never place a dog with co-workers or friends. I want to place a puppy with people who have done their research, decided that my breed is the right one for them, and have gone to the trouble to search for a good breeder. If somebody I know never wanted a puppy of this breed until they became familiar with my dogs, then I don't want to place a dog with them. Getting a dog should not be a matter of convenience.

Maybe my position will help you explain yourself to the boyfriend. IF these people had already researched their breeds, decided a Doberman was the breed for them, and were actively searching then it would be different. Also point out that if they don't care for the dog in the way you think is proper, it could cause bad feelings down the road.
 Gallant
Basic User

Basic User
9/28/2016 11:34:13 AM reply with quote send message to Gallant Object to Post

Not over reacting! I think you're doing it correct. If they are 100% serious about adopting this baby they should be more than willing to adopt through the rescue. If not, then they werent that serious to begin with.

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler