Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Strange show result
 Hazygate
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/12/2016 10:05:40 AM reply with quote send message to Hazygate Object to Post   

I'm not one to complain really but I am just curious how the algorithm came up with this one:
www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=Indian+Summer+1&breed=Pomeranian

Only thing I can figure is that the "thinks a dog should be judged by how good it is compared to the rest of it sbreed" somehow came into play here, like the dog may secretly be much better than its rounded stats make it appear, but I am surprised that would trump the lack of training, grooming, exercising, and conditioning and lack of handler. Anybody else see anything weird with this judge or other judges who judged "by how it compares..." ?
 Pendragon
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2016 10:19:21 AM reply with quote send message to Pendragon Object to Post

Had the same thing happen in Tervs at this show - dog not fully trained without handler took BOB.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2016 11:16:55 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

Interesting.

If you look at the group results page for the show, she certainly doesn't seem particular about handlers.
Her description indicates she likes certain handlers, but isn't overt about it - but most of her group placements went to owner handled dogs.

Hmmm
 Strange Fellows
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2016 11:47:47 AM reply with quote send message to Strange Fellows Object to Post

Just wanted to post pretty much the same topic - my bitch went BIS in that show, without a handler...
www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=Indian+Summer+1&breed=Whippet. Very unexpected.

Generally, I noticed in all of my family account kennels that the male/female success gap is less dramatic, and that handlers seem less important. I think that might have to do with Admin trying to fix the judges' issue and experimenting?
Would be good news...

Artistri
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2016 12:32:57 PM reply with quote send message to Artistri Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

My NSDTR took 3rd in show there without a handler. He was just entered as filler and had the lowest SOP of the dogs entered (I actually retired him today because of it). Group wins for this breed are very rare and show placements are basically unheard of (this may actually be the first!)

-----
Last edited by Artistri on 9/12/2016 12:44:08 PM
 Hazygate
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2016 12:51:13 PM reply with quote send message to Hazygate Object to Post

Ya my Crested won a Group 1 and had no handler either as he was supposed to be point fodder for a class bitch (who had a handler) that failed to win BOB LOL. In fact she didn't even get BOS over the bitch specials who had no handlers either.

I know Admin was doing some tinkering so wondered if maybe this was a side effect.

Well have to say it is kind of nice to see things mixed up a bit, as sometimes it's a little too easy to manipulate the show results. But OTOH you don't want it to be so unpredictable that any strategy is basically meaningless. Anyway just wondered if anybody else had noticed strange things.
 Halcyon Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2016 2:52:48 PM reply with quote send message to Halcyon Dreams Object to Post

I tell you what is weird about that show. If I look at my Borzoi Halcyon Moon Nymph that was entered in that show today and click on her results page

www.showdog.com/users/showresults.aspx?id=15082314

It offers me the opportunity to withdraw her from that show and if I click on "current entries" then it shows the show like it was before it ran.

I wonder if it ran properly?
 Eremitage
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2016 3:05:17 PM reply with quote send message to Eremitage Object to Post

Strange Fellows
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2016 3:06:46 PM reply with quote send message to Strange Fellows Object to Post

Not an issue in my Whippet kennel - withdraw option doesn't show here: www.showdog.com/users/showresults.aspx?id=15023687
 Hazygate
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2016 3:29:39 PM reply with quote send message to Hazygate Object to Post

Oh yeah it's offering me the option to withdraw too. Odd.
 Aussiewolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/12/2016 3:32:15 PM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolf Object to Post

I agree - I had an owner handled dog win over a dog with a handler. And having the same option to withdraw.
 Halcyon Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
9/14/2016 5:46:35 AM reply with quote send message to Halcyon Dreams Object to Post

I still have the option to withdraw my dog from that show. Did anyone email Jeff about it?

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.