Search

.com Forum · Basenji

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Basenji Colours
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
9/23/2016 1:05:42 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post   

this post has been edited 4 time(s)

I've been trying to figure out the colours for this breed. I believe, like a good many other breeds, the chart that shows in the breed info page is incomplete - it does not include the Agouti Locus (A) and thus does not differentiate between the red and white and black tan and white - both show as kk.

This is what I think it should be although I'm not sure of the relative dominance of the Ks vs Kbr. I've assumed that Ks is dominant to Kbr. Most of my experience is in the sporting breeds which do not normally carry the brindle allele. (I add the s for self as I find the letter k sometimes difficult to determine case depending on the font style - KK Kk kk.)

I've also ommitted the "and white' since they all have it.

Ay/Ay Ks/Ks - Black
Ay/at Ks/Ks - Black
at/at Ks/Ks - Black
Ay/Ay Ks/Kbr - Black
Ay/at Ks/Kbr - Black
at/at Ks/Kbr - Black
Ay/Ay Ks/k - Black
Ay/at Ks/k - Black
at/at Ks/k - Black
Ay/Ay Kbr/Kbr - Brindle
Ay/at Kbr/Kbr - Brindle
at/at Kbr/Kbr - Black Brindle (Tri or Trindle)
Ay/Ay Kbr/k - Brindle
Ay/at Kbr/k - Brindle
at/at Kbr/k - Black Brindle (Tri or Trindle)
Ay/Ay k/k - Red
Ay/at k/k - Red
at/at k/k - Black Tan (Tri)

Edit:
Corrections as per Lilliput and Kiroja. Thank you.)
Anything else?

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 9/25/2016 1:08:40 PM
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
9/25/2016 12:04:55 AM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

posted by gaylanstudio

Ay/Ay Ks/Ks Black
Ay/at Ks/Ks Black
at/at Ks/Ks Black
Ay/Ay Ks/Kbr Black
Ay/at Ks/Kbr Black
at/at Ks/Kbr Black
Ay/Ay Ks/k Black
Ay/at Ks/k Black
at/at Ks/k Black
Ay/Ay Kbr/Kbr Brindle
Ay/at Kbr/Kbr Brindle
at/at Kbr/Kbr Black Brindle (Brindle Tri)
Ay/Ay Kbr/k Brindle
Ay/at Kbr/k Brindle
at/at Kbr/k Brindle
Ay/Ay k/k Red
Ay/at k/k Red
at/at k/k Black Tan (Tri)

Any comments, corrections, did I miss any combinations?

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 9/24/2016 12:14:15 AM

Close. I see you bumped the old thread with the original code, so you have that.

at/at Kbr/k
at/at Kbr/Kbr

should both be Trindle.(Black, Brindle, and White or Brindle Tricolor)
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/25/2016 8:36:53 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Yep Lilliput is correct, just switch the one code from brindle to trindle.

I have no idea what's going on with the coding on the breed page. Makes no sense lol. But dogs seem to be breeding true to the correct codes. What Lilliput wrote a while back is what I wanted to type out a few years ago, only using the correct loci abbreviations. Simple codes using just two loci of the colors you'll come across showing RL Basenjis. No need to do dilutes saddles etc as you're typically only gonna see that rarely in the high % African stock that won't be showable. happy :)

If you need any help with the genetics let me know! Ay=sable (red and white) which is dominant to at=tan points (tricolor). K (Ks)=dominant black (black and white) yes there is a recessive black no need for it here. K is dominant to Kbr (brindle) which puts black stripes over what other color is being expressed. It is possible for blacks to be striped and when shaved down or in certain sunlight you can see it. Kbr is dominant to k. When you get both kk the Agouti series color is visible.

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.