.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 23
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : 'Over Stacking' Entries
 Sussurro
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/4/2016 9:55:39 PM reply with quote send message to Sussurro Object to Post   

I've noticed in a couple of my breeds recently that some folks are 'over stacking' entries. Specifically, some players are entering 20 dogs in a single show. Am I missing something?

The Schedule of Points (how many entries are needed in order to earn points) is based on each months entries. So in these breeds (which in almost all cases are NOT popular breeds, but breeds where in some cases there are only 1 or 2 players) - it is bumping the number of entries required for majors through the roof.

Is there a reason for doing this that I'm missing? The only thing I can think of is the # Dogs Beaten, but I'm still not seeing much purpose for that.

As an example, one breed with 3 players and less than 100 dogs in the game now requires 8 bitches for a 5 point major, 6 for 3 points. (Previously 6 bitches would get you 5 points)

Halcyon Delight
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2016 1:33:02 AM reply with quote send message to Halcyon Delight Object to Post

Yes I'd like to know why people do this. It is happening in JRT's & sometimes I stick a handler on a dog and enter in that show and sometimes I enter in others with less dogs in, it is making the breed a bit less enjoyable for me I think. If it was doing me a service I'd like to know that that is ??
 Chocolate Malt Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2016 6:37:30 AM reply with quote send message to Chocolate Malt Kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I do this frequently in dead breeds, like this one (when i have enough sessioned dogs to do it). The reason for it is that there is so little to near non existant competition in the breed, that the only enjoyment i get out of the game is to watch my own dogs defeat eachother and watch the new generation surpas the previous one. On average I have anywhere from 10-20 dogs i dump into one show, almost always without handlers, unless I have some unfortunate stragler of a dog whos been unable to get his last major or something. I've been doing this for a very, very long time, only once have I ever seen it affect the point schedule. It raised the number of dogs needed for a 5 point major by like 1 or 2, but 3 and 4 point majors remained the same. (I might add that my friend had also sponsored like 10+ specialties for that month so my top dog could be a platinum GCH before she retired) I found it to be hardly bothersome. A major is a major. Gets the job done. LOL

At the end of the day, if the breed ever developed enough competition for me to show my dogs "naturally" this would stop, because A: I would have something to compete against on a regular basis other then myself and b: its a whole lot less expensive to compete against other players dogs. (minimum cost per day to show a string of 20 against yourself? $100 LOL) And finally c: this style of showing would be impossible to do successfully if other people were entering shows on a regular basis.

I can also think of why someone else might do it (dont know the specific situation, so I can only consider my own and speculate on others)

Its possible another person might be pushing for GCH levels or even a spot on the all time top dog list (which, lets face it, with sd as quiet as it is compared to years gone by, is nearly impossible without stacking).

Anywho, its probably not for no reason. Its too expensive to do for no reason LOL.

Andrea @ Chocolate Malt Kennel

Edit to add: Sometimes we also have really dumb goals like this www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?name=Malted%20Face%20Palm

merit dam on a a 0.5% starter lol Why? Because I could, and because making her a ch proved impossible (that was my first goal, but she couldnt even defeat a pregnant starter bitch.)so I had to pick a new goal. And because it made me laugh.

-----
Last edited by Chocolate Malt Kennel on 10/5/2016 6:50:01 AM
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/5/2016 8:33:17 AM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

My main breed is and always has been Silky Terriers. We are way behind in SOP and have almost no chance beyond an occasional group win.

Because of that sometimes I get bored and will start chasing GCH points or something like that. Right now I'm showing 8 dogs plus sessioning 3 more.

In our breed there is myself and two other players that routinely show. We don't even bother picking handlers anymore, we just show.

Between the 3 of us the show we picked for tomorrow has 20 entries.

I've shown as many as 20 at one time before the other players joined just so I could get points and titles on my dogs. I've also went months without showing anything.

So for me it depends on the mood I am. Right now I am wanting to get titles on dogs so I'm sessioning and showing as many as possible.

kc meadows
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2016 9:16:35 AM reply with quote send message to kc meadows Object to Post

I have the same issue in another one of my kennels the number of dogs and bitches to even get a 3pt major is really high I don't know the reasoning behind this I just deal with it
 Gallant
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2016 9:46:14 AM reply with quote send message to Gallant Object to Post

Were sadly having to do this in akitas. Starts with one kennel building majors, then since they have all handlers taken you breed more litters and keep more puppies to build your own majors just so you can finish the dogs... It's really spoiled the fun of the game...
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/5/2016 10:00:50 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

There are reasons for stuffing the shows as mentioned. I will do it to try to spur others to make the effort to enter dogs.

I've entered into a number of new breeds over the last year or so. Some I've dropped since and added others. In some of these breeds I know there are others with showable dogs but they are not entering - too busy?, I don't know.

I try to spread the entries out. I want enough for a 3 pointer and if possible I want majors in every $5 show there is. I want to see the breed in every show if possible and I often don't really care if my dogs win (although that's a bonus) or not.
 kc meadows
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2016 11:17:18 AM reply with quote send message to kc meadows Object to Post

it takes 12 dogs and 13 bitches for a 3pt major its kinda a pain I have to sometimes wait for the other kennels to enter shows to know what shows to enter I really shouldn't complain though I have the #1 dog in this breed
 Bero Hill
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2016 3:51:19 PM reply with quote send message to Bero Hill Object to Post

I have the same issue with Kerry Blue Terriers. One person is holding several kennels with them and for others there are no changes to take handlers and earn points.
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2016 6:21:16 PM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

Agreed Bero. I rarely show Kerries anymore.
 Mustardville
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2016 7:09:44 PM reply with quote send message to Mustardville Object to Post

Keep doing the Kerry Blues...My other kennel is just getting into them..hard to get any but I just love to show mostly....I wouldn't have enough to make a major....but I see this happen in my one breed in my Mustardville kennel....one person seems to wait until one gets on to enter and then enters her dogs right before midnight...so very hard to get any points anymore. It's run off quite a few. The kennel usually enters a potload of dogs in each show, and uses all the handlers..I stepped back for awhile because I found I was muttering to myself on the way to work most days....LOL....
 Redwood Foxhounds
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/7/2016 2:03:40 PM reply with quote send message to Redwood Foxhounds Object to Post

The worst is people that enter 5 dogs into every single show for the day and assign all 5 handlers. So unless you try months out you can't even enter a show and ever have a chance of winning now that we have no O/H judges. Especially in a breed with like 5 breeders and no specialties. What is the point?
 Apison
Basic User

Basic User
10/7/2016 7:24:21 PM reply with quote send message to Apison Object to Post

you have that right RF....it is so hard..that is why I stepped back from the breed that I own in my own real life...I still have a kennel and breed and all but there is no chance and the person isn't one to help others, allow one to breed to, etc....oh well...it's why I branched out into friendly breeds...I love helping others get started as others willingly helped and encouraged me and my daughter....
 Aussiewolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/7/2016 10:06:28 PM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolf Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I stack --- in most of my breeds/kennels I have no option but to stack to get points, but I spread the numbers out over several shows, and aim for the bare minimum amount of points needed to get a major in that show, sometimes settling for less points (they get there eventually).

99% of the time, I also restrict myself to one handler per sex per show, to give anyone else a chance if they choose to enter. I have no problem with show stacking where needed, it is just a shame when huge numbers are put in and distort the numbers needed to get majors. It is also a shame when all the top handlers are taken by one kennel, when I see that I tend to avoid the show.

-----
Last edited by Aussiewolf on 10/7/2016 10:09:56 PM
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
10/8/2016 3:35:28 PM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

This is our current pt schedule:

The table below details the point schedule for the Kerry Blue Terrier breed effective Saturday, October 01, 2016.
1 2 3 4 5
Dogs 2 19 26 27 29
Bitches 2 21 25 26 28
Point schedules are calculated based on the amount of entries during the previous month in both all-breed and specialty shows.

Impossible to get any majors.

-----
ETA Sorry it's hard to read.

-----
Last edited by DoogieG6521 on 10/8/2016 3:38:18 PM
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
10/8/2016 4:13:58 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

that's unbelievable

No way I would play in Kerry Blues
 Valley of Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
10/8/2016 5:14:35 PM reply with quote send message to Valley of Dreams Object to Post

OMG !! That point schedule is horrific! :O

I've never seen one so high!

I don't blame you guys for feeling the way you do about the show scene. If that was happening in one of my breeds I would have left :/
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/8/2016 8:23:05 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

I like getting emails that say so-and-so has earned their championship. I also get busy in real life. So sometimes I stack shows, but when I do I have rules for myself.

My rules:

I only enter the minimum number of dogs to make a 5pt major.

I don't use handlers*. Sometimes my major gets "stolen" and I am ok with that.

I only stack entries in two shows a day max.**

I usually only enter one gender per show, so another kennel could earn points with the other gender quite easily.

*I will put a handler on a dog if its the last show needed to finish AND it's about to age out.
**I will enter more than two shows if I have SEVERAL dogs that can be finished but are close to 120 days.

Those are my rules, doesn't seem to have bothered anyone yet. I also will enter a competitive dog normally with handlers in shows against other kennels. I play both ways and have fun both ways.
 Lunatic
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/8/2016 9:04:37 PM reply with quote send message to Lunatic Object to Post

Yeah, Kerry Blues are one of the breeds I've tried for my "breed a champion in every breed" project and had to give up on, for exactly the reasons stated here. It's rather annoying.

I have stacked very occasionally, but considering the project I'm working on, I've only done it to show one dog to a championship and that's it, mission accomplished and I move on. In some circumstances it's entirely fine and makes sense to stack. I've had people help me get my dogs finished by stacking, too. But the extreme to which KBs are being stacked - that's ridiculous.
 Phlossy
Basic User

Basic User
10/8/2016 11:45:56 PM reply with quote send message to Phlossy Object to Post

I tried showing Kerrys in the past and completely gave up. Anyone who sticks with them is a hero IMO!

I've got a bunch of young dogs I'm trying to finish in english toys, so I've been stacking myself some majors, since no one else seems to show them often.

I don't use handlers, and once they're finished, I don't stack shows anymore.
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2016 2:42:22 AM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

It is easier to finish my Kerry Blues in real life, than on SD. And finding majors in RL is a challenge! LOL

Replies in this thread : 23
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.