Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Baxter is a retriever!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
10/7/2016 7:22:30 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Just had to write.

A small bird, junco, just bashed himself on my patio door window. I thought it was ok because it seemed to flutter off.

Baxter wanted to go out so I figured it would be ok to let him go. A couple of minutes later he returned and was standing with his back to the door. When I opened it he laid the little bird on the deck and came in.

I went out with a paper towel and a plastic bag and lo and behold it was still breathing. It was raining and getting cold and dark so I popped it, towels and all, into an empty plastic coffee can and put it back on the deck. Hopefully it will recover but it did not seem to even have it's feather's ruffled.

At this time of year birds are always flying into my windows and if I see it I usually go and see how they are. If they appear to be alive I put them someplace sheltered and hidden. Most of the time they seem to recover - at least they disappear.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 10/8/2016 1:03:26 PM
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/8/2016 8:01:09 AM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

I hope the bird survives, well done for helping it, I used to have a big window in my last house that I realised had reflection problems for the birds, I solved it by sticking butterfly stickers on it at strategic points so they knew it was a window.
 Gaylanstudio5
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/8/2016 12:54:49 PM reply with quote send message to Gaylanstudio5 Object to Post

Update - Little birdie was gone this morning so I assume it is ok.

I was somewhat surprized with Baxter that he carried that bird so gently - he's had no training. I guess those instincts/inheritances are still there. (He's an American Cocker for those who didn't know.)

Do you need to put those stickers on the outside or inside and does it make a difference?
 Shadowstorm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/8/2016 1:59:33 PM reply with quote send message to Shadowstorm Kennels Object to Post

This happens to us. Our dinner room has a huge window that pretty much covers the whole wall, honestly it could be a glass wall, how big the window is but it's not quite. I guess it doesn't help that the wall across it, is a wallpaper of a forest. We live in the middle of New Hampshire. Pure tress everywhere. So we have birds sometimes slamming into our window.

One early morning, the family and I woke up super early, we were getting ready to do something that I can't remember now. I was the first one down and went to get some breakfast. As I was eating my cereal in the dinning room. I noticed all of the crows chilling on the trees of our backyard. Next thing I blink and every single one of them was flying towards the window, slamming against it. The most scariest thing in my life, it was like a horror film coming to life.

I guess they wanted my cereal or something. Now we put some curtains, so the birds don't get confused or something
 GaylanStudio9
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/11/2016 1:11:10 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio9 Object to Post

That's odd. I've never had crows fly into the windows - they are very intelligent as birds go and seem to know better.

I have the biggest problem with yellow-bellied sapsuckers. They are hatched up north in the bush and then pass through the city on their way south. They've never encountered many large windows before - so the experts explained.

Next high hitters are the sparrow types but they seem more prone to this in the spring.
 Shadowstorm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/11/2016 5:06:37 PM reply with quote send message to Shadowstorm Kennels Object to Post

It was odd. I can't say nothing on the intelligence of a bird, just as clueless as the next person. I remember that day very clear but I can honestly it probably was crows or not. All I know they were black and I was 11, when it happened, first think I think as a "black bird" are crows. Thinking back it probably wasn't or maybe it was, I don't know. But it was odd, for sure, very creepy, I'm talking about more than 5 of them slammed into our window.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/14/2016 2:17:59 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Baxter makes me chuckle a bit now. Ever time he sees a large leaf or whatever on the deck he has to go out and investigate.

He seems to have found his calling (lol).
 Shadowstorm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2016 10:10:49 PM reply with quote send message to Shadowstorm Kennels Object to Post

Maybe you should take him to some field trials or training sessions and see how it goes? I think that would very fun and stimulating for both of you..
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/15/2016 9:44:24 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I have no doubt that he'd have a blast but I don't think I'm motivated enough. I do think it's great to see some folks working the breed and there are a few.

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing