Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : I'm bored question....
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/20/2016 10:12:44 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post   

I'm on generation 122 and just passed 98 SOP.

is this a hard breed or is that a normal rate of progression, or am I doing it wrong?

rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
10/20/2016 12:07:15 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Hmmm,

On the Dalmatian History Spreadsheet I did for last month's SD Chronicle I included the Generation on the BISS winners page -

bit.ly/2d0YpVT

You can kind of get an idea of one breed's progression from that.

I checked some of the top SOP breeds - GSD, Great Danes, Standard Poodles, Goldens - it's interesting to note that I don't see any of them at 120 and yet they are all at 99.

I imagine a lot has to do with the number of players in the breed? The number of puppies in a litter?
Meaning I would imagine you see faster progress in breeds with multiple breeders and large litters.

Perhaps trait based breeding vs SOP based breeding plays a role as well?

It is definitely an interesting question when you compare your breed's SOP/Generation to other breeds' SOP/Generation.

-----
Last edited by rhondacline on 10/20/2016 12:07:41 PM

-----
Last edited by rhondacline on 10/20/2016 12:07:59 PM
 Fingerprint
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/20/2016 12:24:44 PM reply with quote send message to Fingerprint Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

user wiped their message

-----
Last edited by Fingerprint on 10/20/2016 12:25:34 PM
 Steph
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2016 6:36:58 PM reply with quote send message to Steph Object to Post

It has to do with quantity and quality of players.

I can speak for Goldens. The breed has always had a large group of highly experienced players in the breed. When competition is super high in a breed with great players, it pushes them to make the best dogs they can. Another thing that really helps the breed is the players make all of their lines available to the public. It's easy to keep up with Jones's in the breed. And these guys session quick so you can move forward in generations quicker because you can find the talented dogs faster.

Danes have had some really good players over the years as well. It was the first breed to reach 100 under the old system. I think the huge litters help too.

Will
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2016 1:33:26 PM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

one point stands between my youngest and a retired over 400 day old dog. :-/

one point.......
 Steph
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2016 9:51:23 PM reply with quote send message to Steph Object to Post

One is the loneliest number when you are leading the pack in a breed. When there are a handful of kennels pushing the SOP, it makes it easier to outcross and break plateaus.

One option is to attract other players in it for the long haul or open up other kennels of your own to compete against.

Will

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.