Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Excessive Drool
 Hearts Ablaze
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/14/2016 8:57:08 AM reply with quote send message to Hearts Ablaze Object to Post   

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there's any way to control excessive drooling, especially in big dogs. I show a Great Pyr with an incredible drooling problem.

Thanks!
Cassie
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
11/14/2016 9:51:12 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

I'm not much help

I do know you usually see handlers carrying a drool rag with them for the 'slobbery' breeds.
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
11/14/2016 10:28:29 AM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

The Newfie and Saint people have bibs on their dogs
 Phlossy
Basic User

Basic User
11/14/2016 10:47:04 AM reply with quote send message to Phlossy Object to Post

I used to show a SUPER drooly saint. Get a couple of big dog bibs, so you can swap out wet ones for dry ones. Carry around a towel and whenever the dog lays down, cover the legs with the towel to keep him/her from getting drool on their legs. You can also buy or make "leg savers" like these ones:

https://id3473.securedata.net/inflightcoatformula.com/merchantmanager/index.php?cPath=13

Basically, you're going to have to rely on a physical barrier to prevent drool from getting all over. Most people also carry a washcloth or hand towel to use as a drool rag, and dry the dog's mouth (inside the lips too) before you go into the ring. I also found that if the dog will bait for something other than food, that helps too. I found food bait = more drool, and if they would bait for a toy, sometimes the toy can do double duty and soak up some drool. XD

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.