Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Trait numbers
 Flush
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/21/2016 11:55:45 PM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post   

I have started a small semi source line ...source bitches bred to older dogs, 3 or 4 generations back from the current winning dogs in an amateur attempt at widening the very small gene pool.

So my question is: How to work out breedings based on the trait numbers. If I have a 14 trait, do I breed it to a 9.6 or 10.4? Or won't it make much difference when there is so much distance between the numbers? Those are mostly the closest traits to 10 in the breed I can use.
 jaime1985
Basic User

Basic User
11/22/2016 1:23:18 AM reply with quote send message to jaime1985 Object to Post

I am doing something similar, until the stats start getting closer to 10 I wouldnt bother trying to even them up. I am doing this with a few breeds, I am furthest along on my 8th set of breedings atm, I expect I will try balancing for the 9th, maybe 10th breeding.

Good luck, it is very rewarding to see the numbers start to come up happy :)
 Flush
Basic User

Basic User
11/22/2016 1:31:36 PM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post

Thanks. Yes, it is exciting!! happy :)
 jaime1985
Basic User

Basic User
11/22/2016 1:58:36 PM reply with quote send message to jaime1985 Object to Post

I remembered this and thought you might find it interesting

www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=593291

Also this is the progress I have made, you may find it interesting.

My source bitch 17.25 (I called these my gen 1)
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?name=Anachronism%20Agama

My most current pups are (gen 8) this is my best girl 86.40
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15313449

They jump nicely in numbers at first but then start to slow down, my gen 8 bitches mother was 80.15

I should really start to pay attention to stats myself, been focused in keeping COI at 0% lol

Hope this was remotely helpful happy :)

Blitz Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/22/2016 6:24:05 PM reply with quote send message to Blitz Kennel Object to Post

When I was source breeding I tried to find someone with a trait on the other side of 10 from the get go. Especially if there aren't many current show sops with that opposite trait. happy :)
 Flush
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2016 12:00:36 AM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post

Yes I was surprised how well my first generation worked out, 46/47 SOP from a 30 bitch. Thanks for the info
 Caulfeilds Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/23/2016 11:16:51 AM reply with quote send message to Caulfeilds Kennels Object to Post

I have learned that one set of breedings can have the same, or similar SOPs than the last one, then, with the next one, I can see a jump.
This is with true source breeding though, not sure if you get this when you mix in showdogs into the mix.

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.