Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Source Breeding Getting Started
 Charmant
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/9/2016 3:06:12 PM reply with quote send message to Charmant Object to Post   

I am wanting to get started with a source project. I am not new to the game, i played several years ago. but im wanting to do something other than breeding and showing someone elses lines.

my question is, how many starter bitches and dogs should I aquire? i obviously dont want to over or under start my project..
 Chenoa Valley
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2016 4:22:35 PM reply with quote send message to Chenoa Valley Object to Post

I was hoping to put together a source breeder guide, but there didn't seem to be a lot of interest on the topic at the time.

Personally, I started in my other kennel with 10 females and 5 males. I did this because many years ago I read someone say that if you have 5 males then COI will never be an issue. I chose 10 females because that is the max number of pregnancies we can have going on at once.

If you are choosing a breed and it's not cheap to obtain starter dogs, then you can get away with 2 or 3 males and 5 females.

Those are just my thoughts. I hope it helps happy :)
 Charmant
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2016 4:54:05 PM reply with quote send message to Charmant Object to Post

I currently have 5 males and 5 females numbered 1-5.

My plan is breed female 1 with male 1, female 2 with male 2, so on and so forth. once i have puppies from those litters, i will rotate the females and breed female 2 with male 1, female 3 with male 2, so on and so forth.

my hope is to have a wide pool of each generation to keep COI low and keep a wide selection of SOPs to choose from.

this is a very confusing thing to take on, so all i can hope for is the best! LOL

Charmant
 Caulfeilds Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/9/2016 7:00:06 PM reply with quote send message to Caulfeilds Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hi,
Are you wanting to breed true source or mix in higher SOP dogs to get there faster?

I only do true sourcies and yes, have more bitches than dogs.

In the beginning (not to sound biblical but it seems that long ago...LOL) I just bred 0 gens together then gen 1's together, and so on. I still follow that rule but back then, I cared little about colours or SS, especially not SS. I still don't care about SS although I know that a SS of 20 falsely raises my SOP.
I would try to keep a higher SOP bitch and dog from each breeding.
Then, wait a month to do it again.
Do not name your dogs. You will lose track of them that way.
Take a look at my system. It works for me.
I would be happy to assist.
If you post a question here, fire me off a message to tell me to go look as I might not come here every day.

Carol

Edited to add: Once you work through the alphabet, the System may not let you name a dog A-70.0. I then used AA then BB etc. Sometimes I will put * after the number if it tells me I have used that name before. there is a way to get around that and keep my dogs organized.

-----
Last edited by Caulfeilds Kennels on 12/9/2016 7:03:18 PM

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.