Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Will we ever have Miniature American Shepherds?
 Flavia
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
12/15/2016 6:09:38 PM reply with quote send message to Flavia Object to Post   

Now that AKC has this breed is it something we will ever have as well?
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2016 6:57:03 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

I doubt it.
 Temora
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2016 7:58:35 PM reply with quote send message to Temora Object to Post

Too many undersubscribed breeds to add any more.
 Calabro
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2016 8:00:08 PM reply with quote send message to Calabro Object to Post

I am surprised they dont but have all the other newer breeds to AKC
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/17/2016 1:27:32 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I think some of the 'new' AKC breeds were added to SD before they were added to AKC. I also think that some of these breeds were actually not strickly speaking 'new' breeds but breeds that had long histories in their country of origins.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/17/2016 1:32:14 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Scrrrreeech . . .

That’s me dragging out my soapbox, again.

So first of all, no I don’t think you will see any new breeds added to SD in the foreseeable future. As was stated, we already have multiple breeds that do not have sufficient support.

(Stomp, stomp) That’s me getting on the soapbox. Ok, why do we need any new breeds in real life? Showing and pure bred dog ownership is down in real life too. Where a few years ago having a pure bred dog was a status symbol, now it’s having a rescue dog. There are real breeds out there already that are seriously in danger with critically small gene pools and histories that go back hundreds of years. Why do we need newly invented breeds?

Now, I have absolutely nothing against genuine rescue dogs but purebreds need homes too. Breeders aren’t breeding because they often cannot place their puppies in good homes. I’ve heard stories about some ‘rescue’ organizations actually breeding ‘rescue dogs’ – there is big money in these supposed ‘rescue dogs’. They invent a sad story and the dog can’t tell you it’s false – they are just glad to have a home and I know they need homes now too. Now, I admit that I don’t know how true some of these stories are but why oh why do we here in Winnipeg need to import ‘rescue dogs’ from California! It’s ridiculous!

We do not need any new breeds in real life either.

Ok, getting off the soapbox. Please note - this is just an opinion. If you agree, great, if you don’t that’s fine too. (I am posting this with some reservations, just hoping to create some thought.)
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2016 11:26:15 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

May I borrow that soap box? I have something to say about "new breeds".

For the love of God can we stop crossing everything under the sun with frickin' poodles??!!?? Labradoodles, Goldendoodles, Cockapoos, Lhasapoos, Maltipoo, Yorkipoo - the current favorite in my area is Bernerdoodles. What is the POINT of this? If you want something with poodle like qualities, go get a POODLE! They come in three sizes and like 50 colors. They're also much more likely to have had health screenings and not as likely to cost you over $1000. (For a Mixed breed!)

I understand that technically if you go back far enough all breeds are mixed breeds. BUT THERE WAS A PURPOSE AND USE FOR THOSE BREEDS! And being cute or being able to call it a stupid name (I'm looking at YOU Pooahoula and Foodle and Chiweenie "breeders"wink ;) doesn't count! I have much less of a problem with the performance dog people who cross breeds to get a light-bodied with speed and drive, who are invested in their mixes' health because a sickly dog can't perform, but the cutesy mixes which serve no purpose seemingly other than barking and attempting to not shed because they're "hypoallergenic" because poodle and have absolutely no consistency to a standard (except the cockapoos, they usually look similar to one another)...They make me nuts.

And stop bringing dogs from one area of the country to another for "rescuing". Unless you are swapping an over-abundance of one type of dog in area A for an over-abundance of a different type in area B then there is probably PLENTY of dogs in your area for adopting. And why are we bringing in "rescues" from other countries? Don't we have enough of our own?

Full disclosure, I have both purebreds and mixed breeds and have owned both breeder and rescue dogs.
I rescued two designer "chiweenies". I call one a dachshund mix because that's what he looks like and the other a chihuahua because that's what she looks like.

I also shouldn't be allowed around soapboxes.

-----
Last edited by Yippee Yahoo Kennels on 12/17/2016 11:28:58 PM
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2016 11:27:31 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

user wiped their message

-----
Last edited by Yippee Yahoo Kennels on 12/17/2016 11:28:05 PM
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2016 4:13:14 AM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

A thousand times like! My opinion exactly on rescues. But now it is no longer good enough to have just a rescue from the local spca. The new fad is a rescue "with a story". Local dogs languish in the shelter while dogs are brought in from other states or countries. It angers me to no end.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/18/2016 5:39:20 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Thanks for adding your thoughts.

I was thinking about all those designer dogs too, Yippie, but I didn't want to make the post too long.

Glad to see that there is still aome sanity out there - thus proving that it is not me who's the crazy old dog lady.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2016 6:49:28 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

I work in a vet clinic and we get all the 'oodles' come in to the clinic in such large numbers that I *actually* get excited when I see a PUREBRED! *sighs*

I'm constantly bombarded by owners complaining when their 'Yorki-Poo' has been listed as a 'Yorkshire Terrier x Poodle (as that's what our system lists mix breeds) and it always makes me want to sigh but yet I'm forced to keep a 'happy customer service face' LOL

I know that everyone is entitled to their own likes/dislikes and opinions etc. And I totally get that dogs from all walks of life can be wonderful but I've always been a purebred girl at heart happy :)

We had a Borzoi come in the other day (a real rarity for our area) and I nearly squealed in delight, hahaa!)
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/19/2016 8:23:17 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I know when I bring my cocker to the vets the girls at the front desk go crazy over him, he loves everyone and he knows exactly where the cookie box is kept there too.

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.