Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : Therapy Dog Question
 Hearts Ablaze
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/16/2017 11:26:55 PM reply with quote send message to Hearts Ablaze Object to Post   

Hi all,

I have a question regarding what it would take to get my Border Collie certified as a therapy dog. He's nearly four years old, very sweet with people, sometimes a bit skittish around other dogs if they intimidate him (staring, snarling, etc.) but overall just a super sweet dog. So my question is how would I get him certified? What is a credible organization to do it through?

Thanks,
Cassie
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/17/2017 12:50:50 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Therapy Dogs International. They use the basic AKC Canine Good Citizen test which has about 10 different actions the dog must perform such as getting groomed, greeting a stranger, basic sit stay come, and loose lead walking. Then they add another 4 requirements like distractions with food and being comfortable around children and hospital equipment.

Hearts Ablaze
Basic User

Basic User
1/18/2017 12:15:55 PM reply with quote send message to Hearts Ablaze Object to Post

Okay, thank you!
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
1/18/2017 3:58:39 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

TDI and also St John's Ambulance has a certification course (I've been told by the reading with dogs group)
 Hearts Ablaze
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2017 8:59:19 PM reply with quote send message to Hearts Ablaze Object to Post

Thanks for letting me know! I'll check it out!

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.