Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Reset?
 Euphorias
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/8/2017 9:18:47 PM reply with quote send message to Euphorias Object to Post   

Do you think another reset will happen or what ever it was called when breeds started getting to close to 100?

XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/9/2017 12:03:07 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

At the time, Jeff said no, that there were built in decimals that would prevent reaching 100.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
5/9/2017 7:22:12 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

As far as I remember Jeff said it would be impossible to get to 100%, as like XiZang mentioned, there was something put into place to prevent it from happening.

However - that being said I think that this wasn't actually put into place - as it doesn't appear to be working. For instance, in Great Danes there are already two studs listed as 99.85% I would have thought that it would have taken a lot longer for the breed to get to that point if there was a system in place to slow it down?

Only Jeff knows the answers to that one - and to whether or not there will be any form of reset in the future.
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
5/9/2017 7:30:28 AM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

No I don't see a reset happening. There are not enough players to warrant that amount of work for Jeff.

Just because a breed nears 100 doesn't mean that they are winning every show....
 Euphorias
Basic User

Basic User
5/9/2017 5:12:03 PM reply with quote send message to Euphorias Object to Post

Even if it is in place wont that still kinda kill the fun for that breed, oh I really can't go any higher so whats the point?
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/9/2017 5:17:44 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

posted by Dalkeith

However - that being said I think that this wasn't actually put into place - as it doesn't appear to be working. For instance, in Great Danes there are already two studs listed as 99.85% I would have thought that it would have taken a lot longer for the breed to get to that point if there was a system in place to slow it down?

Actually, there are a few Danes at 99.9% now...
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15641934
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/9/2017 10:25:16 PM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

Personally I hope there is not a reset anytime soon. I've spent the last year or so trying to save rare breeds.

All but one of my breeds is still below 90 consistently. American Foxhounds have hit 91 but most dogs are still in the 89 or so range.

With the lack of breeders the rare breeds will never catch up if we reset every time someone hits 100.

As another poster said, the high SOP dogs don't always win so I think it should be left as it is.
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
5/10/2017 1:35:25 PM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

posted by Euphorias
Even if it is in place wont that still kinda kill the fun for that breed, oh I really can't go any higher so whats the point?
Lots of breeds to choose from! Personally - a high SOP is not the key indicator of success - I want a dog who is winning BIS and producing BIS winners. Those dogs are hard to find as breeds hit the very high SOPs because they all look the same happy :)

K
 AbleBaker
Basic User

Basic User
5/10/2017 9:04:39 PM reply with quote send message to AbleBaker Object to Post

Jeff can always reset breeds whose average SOP is > 99%.

Sounds OK - but programatically a nightmare.
 PixelPups
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/10/2017 11:01:53 PM reply with quote send message to PixelPups Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Okay, I am likely in the minority here but I'd be happy to reset all the dogs to starters! To me, the high SOPs are just not as much fun to work with as the lower ones. I like the bigger gains at the lower numbers. Over 98% to me is just not interesting (and many breeds are getting there!).

So I'd like to see all the breeds start over at the same time. The breeds with bigger litters *cough*GreatDanes*cough* would have an advantage but that's the way the game is. But no breed would be behind at first! And I don't think it would be hard for Jeff to code. Starters already exist.

If there was a larger player base, I think it would be fun to have a parallel ShowDog2 to begin from all starters but people would not be obligated to give up the current ShowDog. I suspect that would not work, sadly.

-----
Last edited by PixelPups on 5/10/2017 11:02:44 PM

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.