Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 36
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/14/2017 9:02:31 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Just got back on SD and am looking to start breeding again...sure hope this doesn't happen to me..yikes.
 kc blue river
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2017 4:45:06 PM reply with quote send message to kc blue river Object to Post

Having same problem very mediocre puppies or really bad puppies lucky if I get 1 or 2 nice ones nothing outstanding at all ????
 Picardy
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/18/2017 6:55:52 PM reply with quote send message to Picardy Object to Post

I go through times in all my breeds where it seems like every litter born is average to poor quality. FHing whole litters more often than I would like. To be honest I don't put much strategy into planning matings... when a bitch is ready to breed I find a stud that either improves certain traits, is a certain colour, or produces an acceptable COI (in rarer breeds). I don't usually breed simply hoping for higher SOP.

Also, don't completely disregard your ugly duckling puppies! Sometimes dogs that are "worse" than their parents will actually produce puppies better than their parents.

Still sometimes I despair too... I often get fed up with my Siberian kennel, but rather than dumping them I switch focus to colour breeding, or pick up a 2nd breed. Then, after you have persevered through all those bad litters, it makes it so much more rewarding when a nice puppy does come along! laugh :D

Rough Edges
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2017 3:47:26 AM reply with quote send message to Rough Edges Object to Post

Just remember folks that show shine can be kind of random and not *totally* hereditary. So yes, you can still get pups with crappy SS even from a pedigree with all 20 SS. There is an element of truth to this, as not all dogs are showy or like to show. And being flashy is an important element of RL dog showing. Some dogs have *IT* and some don't.
 Ranchstars
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/19/2017 8:26:24 AM reply with quote send message to Ranchstars Object to Post

My puppies today are poor quality
 Ranchstars
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/19/2017 8:26:25 AM reply with quote send message to Ranchstars Object to Post

My puppies today are poor quality
 Lap of Luxury
Basic User

Basic User
8/21/2017 1:36:37 AM reply with quote send message to Lap of Luxury Object to Post

I'm still getting enough good puppies to show in all kennels, but improving a particular trait has become more difficult for me. When the only pups with the traits you have bred the litter for, all have very low show shine.
It's just frustrating, rather than challenging!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/21/2017 2:05:34 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Well, I haven't bred too much lately but they all seem to be within a reasonable range. Perhaps too many boys and not enough nice girls.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/25/2017 8:45:10 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Well, just had a litter born and I got a bunch of decent males, but no good females...wound up FHing all females :C
 KC Misty Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2017 10:48:00 PM reply with quote send message to KC Misty Meadows Object to Post

All puppies are just average just below acceptable quality. None really showable. Or all FH most the entire litters. I am really getting bummed out.
 KC Misty Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2017 10:50:58 PM reply with quote send message to KC Misty Meadows Object to Post

I would even be happy with one great puppy. Only one in a bunch of litters can't remember how many litters I have FH.
 Lisboa
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2017 10:59:45 PM reply with quote send message to Lisboa Object to Post

Just got that one - he will sustain me for a while in a whole range of kennels.
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
9/8/2017 5:02:49 PM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

I'm having the exact same problem. I've got 10 litters due just to try and get maybe a few good puppies
 Loch Tay
Basic User

Basic User
9/13/2017 11:22:40 AM reply with quote send message to Loch Tay Object to Post

Just had seven litters born from current winning studs and quality bitches, only one is a little better than its dam, none competitive. So disappointing, flooded with terrible show shine from dogs with all 20 in the pedigree. Some of the bitches had thrown VH SOP regularly. Now I don't know which to keep to try again. sad :(
I'm running out of class males to show, as have not bred any competitive males for weeks and have spent hundreds on stud fees.
Gutted
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/13/2017 12:46:51 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I feel for ya all.

Most of my kennels are in a rebuilding phase so my expectations are low. Lol.
 Loch Tay
Basic User

Basic User
9/14/2017 1:02:12 AM reply with quote send message to Loch Tay Object to Post

It used to be that in a litter of also rans that there was usually one showable one, or even a star. In another kennel, several breedings of two approx 96.70 parents are giving me many 96.10-96.30 with the odd 96.50, though that could be because I am using new lines that I "don't know" with 0% or very low C/O breedings.
I'm not posting to complain really, just can't see a pattern in this!

Replies in this thread : 36
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.