Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : Has anyone bred a color up from source to show levels?
 residential5
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/29/2017 7:59:21 PM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post   

I know some people did it back when colors were first introduced, but that was dozens of generations ago. Has anyone bred up a color within the past few years?

I did it myself back several years ago, but obviously it's gonna be harder the more generations ahead current dogs are. Any successes? Tips or tricks?
 Waggs Norfolk Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/30/2017 10:25:31 AM reply with quote send message to Waggs Norfolk Terriers Object to Post

I've never done it but I've always thought about doing it. I'm colour breeding in a different kennel although bringing in higher sops from outside studs - that's difficult enough!
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2017 12:41:06 PM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

I breed source to modern. Can't imagine doing it source to source.

Still, it takes about six dogs per gene to do it.
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2017 5:32:19 PM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

The only kennel that I can think of that is breeding from source to source (with no outside studs/current SOP studs) is Caulfeild Kennels (Welsh Springer Spaniels). I believe they've been working on that project for 10 years! happy :)
 Outlander
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2017 6:51:26 PM reply with quote send message to Outlander Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Chaos and Havoc
The only kennel that I can think of that is breeding from source to source (with no outside studs/current SOP studs) is Caulfeild Kennels (Welsh Springer Spaniels). I believe they've been working on that project for 10 years! happy :)
I have been quietly working on Border Terriers in this kennel.

Except for the 2 or 3 bought Source/Admin in the beginning, All my dogs are of my kennel.

I have been at this project for about 10 or 11 months, and am only at Generation 6.

So far, this is my best Border Terrier:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15783239

Edited to add that I am using the old system for SOP's.

-----
Last edited by Outlander on 7/30/2017 6:54:29 PM

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.