Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : breed preservation idea
 All Star Acres
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/25/2017 11:19:04 AM reply with quote send message to All Star Acres Object to Post   

I had an idea & am curious for other people's thoughts!

Anyways, what if I were to open a kennel and run it with the intention of preserving & promoting the "endangered" breeds? I looked through the list and counted 24 breeds that have less than 50 "active" current SOP dogs.

8 breeds have 0-25 active dogs, and of those 8, zero have females currently for sale.

16 breeds have 26-50 active dogs, and of those 16, five have a female currently for sale.

My thought is that I could obtain one average female of each breed, and then breed them with the intention of having puppies in these breeds for sale on a routine basis.

I'm thinking if there are decent puppies for sale, it might encourage people to at least try a new breed out. At the very least, puppies would be available so the option was there.

These dogs wouldn't be shown, they wouldn't encroach on anyone else's kennel programs or lines.

Anyways, let me know what you think!
 Hawkeye Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/25/2017 11:44:12 AM reply with quote send message to Hawkeye Kennel Object to Post

Females not being for sale isn't a great indicator of a breed's popularity in all fairness. I get plenty of girls and I usually either keep them for breeding or FH them because their stats are too low for me to do anything with.

Your plan sounds a teensy bit like puppy farming and I feel like you might not get much out of breeding for the sake of keeping populations high enough.

Really, you are welcome to do what you like with your kennel and I would be happy to get you started up with a female shar-pei when I have one available wink ;) (all my girls are either too young, pregnant or I have pairings ready).

Rustic Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
9/25/2017 12:04:53 PM reply with quote send message to Rustic Dogs Object to Post

All Star Acres....

That's not a bad idea...Although , if you keep all the "Endangered" dogs in one kennel, you will soon be overwhelmed with too many dogs if they don't sell.

Also, on the down side, There may be some that want to dabble in $20.00 Source/Admin dogs, and if there is one for sale in whatever breed, the price goes up.

On the plus side, you could do that and just offer the female for sale- there are some great studs out there already- and if you dig for them, you can find older/inactive kennels that have some older studs up for use.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best!

Rustic
 Faelin
Basic User

Basic User
9/26/2017 3:40:07 PM reply with quote send message to Faelin Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I currently have a couple rarer breeds, and I feel it is important to have a place with stud dogs available as well. I am in a lot of breeds where very few studs are available, but I like your idea as well!

I would be willing to donate whatever puppies I can!

-----
Last edited by Faelin on 9/26/2017 3:40:49 PM

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.