.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 21
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Why would you purchase dogs just to immediately forever home
 Kleenex Goldens
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/21/2017 3:54:00 PM reply with quote send message to Kleenex Goldens Object to Post   

I am totally not new to this game but in my years of playing I sell quite a bit of dogs when they phase out of my program or when someone might want to special a finished champion. I continue to show them and feed them while they are for sale, they dont need to leave if all that will happen is loving family. this has happened in several breeds lately and I would like to know what is the purpose? is it to disperse funds to other players by purchasing dogs they have for sale? is it to eliminate those dogs from the game? Im sure there are many opinions but It sucks as I was still using one as a sire
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/21/2017 5:16:06 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

This has been a puzzle for a long time. Some have suggested it's new players who don't know what Forever Home means. But I don't know. Makes no sense to me.
 Hawkeye Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2017 5:19:06 PM reply with quote send message to Hawkeye Kennel Object to Post

Happened to me recently, as someone in a rarer breed its very frustrating, I would have appreciated a quick pm offering said dog for resale back to me.
 Powder River Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2017 5:19:13 PM reply with quote send message to Powder River Kennel Object to Post

most recently it is well seasoned players grabbing champion males and forever homing.
 All Star Acres
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2017 5:19:42 PM reply with quote send message to All Star Acres Object to Post

I guess it would depend on what type of kennel did the forever homing. Are they new and just didn't understand what forever homing meant? Did someone want to use a male to breed several of their females and it was cheaper to purchase/FH than to pay multiple stud fees? Did they buy the dog and then FH after entering a few shows and realizing the dog wasn't competitive enough in the breed for their liking? Were the dogs descendants of their bloodline and they wanted to purchase/cull the dogs to remove dogs of their bloodline from the sales pool?

Could be a million thugs.
 Kleenex Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2017 5:23:57 PM reply with quote send message to Kleenex Goldens Object to Post

one of the dogs in question CH Kleenex Sienica is a finished younger champion male who was purchase by a top breeder today and forever homed.

Sienica has produce 4 puppies at 99.45 current SOP and this top SOP 99.50 sop puppy

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15968471

I was continuing to use him but place him for sale so he could find a home if needed, I didn't think he would be purchased and sent to loving family immediately.
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2017 5:25:58 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

Honestly, I do it from time to time to clear the sales boards.

Old dogs that are aged out.
Starters that have no purpose unless you can tell it's a rare breeding project.
And, for breeds I am in, finished dogs with poor show talent... or dogs I've sold that and are back up for sale.

Will
 Kleenex Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2017 5:27:32 PM reply with quote send message to Kleenex Goldens Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

This must be a glitch. I bred and finished CH Kleenex Sienica (even shows on my kennels dogs finished page) however the player who purchased the dog and immediately forever homed it now shows as the finisher of said dog on the dogs page.

Does this practice/glitch help the prestige standings????

-----
Last edited by Kleenex Goldens on 10/21/2017 5:31:35 PM
 Kleenex Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2017 5:29:12 PM reply with quote send message to Kleenex Goldens Object to Post

Will, did you look at what he was producing? I dont like the practice of clearing sales boards. I cull hard in my program and no longer have much for sale and what is has been sessioned and taken time. That one dog was being a good stud and now he is out of the game
 Kleenex Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2017 5:31:11 PM reply with quote send message to Kleenex Goldens Object to Post

Right now all I have on the sales boards is two 50 day 99.40 fully sessioned brood bitches. I can understand you buying back the barstar dog you bought and forever homed this morning as you bred him but I do not see the reasoning behind Sienica, he was producing and not of your kennel.
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2017 5:31:43 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

Kleenex,

Just like you stuffing shows with 5 million dogs to build cheap majors. It is within the game rules for me to buy dogs and do with as I please.

Thanks.
Will
 Kleenex Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2017 5:34:39 PM reply with quote send message to Kleenex Goldens Object to Post

Im not stuffing majors, If you look at the stats I could do far better if I tried for 8 majors a night in 4 shows rather than having all dogs in one show, but I am lazy and have a bunch of kennels so I do it the slow way.

It isnt against the rules I am just frustrated as that dog was not doing anything to you except producing good puppies for the breed
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2017 5:37:58 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

Bring your frustration to the ring. Beat me in the show ring. It will make you feel better I promise.

Will
 Kleenex Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2017 5:41:10 PM reply with quote send message to Kleenex Goldens Object to Post

I have never been against anyone here, if anything I have been promoting barstar as the dog i bought has been in top 5 all breed for last 2 months and currently #1 breed. you think that is cheap or easy? I hate picking shows and handlers. I prefer just to toss them all in no handler judges and go on to the next kennel.

BTW what happened to the Curly kennel? I know I won the National but I dont see any majors for the breed

BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2017 5:43:19 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

Which kennel?

I haven't sessioned up anything to show in Curlies for a bit. Taking a short break.

Will
 Top Notch Ranch
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2017 6:44:59 PM reply with quote send message to Top Notch Ranch Object to Post

In all honesty, the dog in question doesn't look bad, but he doesn't seem outstanding either. His show record is kind of meh. I know he finished, but it looks like he won most of his points in stacked shows. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just mean it isn't as "well rounded" of a champ as one that has earned their majors from specialties, or heavily entered shows with multiple kennels. In the breeds at the top of the popularity list, a very well rounded and consistent winner is what I look for when it comes to culling and breeding decisions. And I know he produced pups with better than he SOP, but SOP is only one thing to consider overall. In one of my breeds, dogs with 97.15 SOP are currently killin it in the ring against 97.50 SOP dogs. Some lines are just really stellar even though they don't 'look' as pretty numbers wise.

It might make sense for you to post dogs for sale on approval so you can talk to the purchaser prior to the sale if things like future stud use, etc are an important factor for you.

I don't mean anything I've said here to come across as insulting so please don't take it that way, just wanted to give my thoughts.
 Bailey Barns
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/22/2017 7:38:45 PM reply with quote send message to Bailey Barns Object to Post

If you don’t want a dog sent to a forever home, don’t put it up for sale, simple as that. Once they’re out of your possession, you have no say in it.

I’ve had someone more than once promise to finish an easy dog to finish, and not follow through. And I’m the only one I can blame when I give up a dog I wouldn’t have sold otherwise and she doesn’t get to do what I wanted her to.
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2017 8:02:49 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

Now circumstances like Bailey mentioned.... dogs bought with strings attached... I'd make sure the dog got returned.

Will
 Lap of Luxury
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2017 11:50:14 PM reply with quote send message to Lap of Luxury Object to Post

If you don't want it any more, FH it. I'm very wary now about selling good ones and will only do so to those I trust. But sometimes that goes wrong too unfortunately.....like Users may promise to let you have it back, use it at stud etc and then don't.

Note: in this particular kennel I have had nothing but help!
 Squeaky318
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/25/2017 1:09:25 PM reply with quote send message to Squeaky318 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

If I post a dog for sale, especially a champion, I'd want it used in someone's program to better it...not be bought up and immediately forever homed to "clear the sales boards". That should be something implemented in the game by the administrator if they deemed it necessary. I'd be peeved myself to find out someone had bought my dog to FH it. I would have just done that myself!Just my opinion on the matter.

-----
Last edited by Squeaky318 on 10/25/2017 1:09:50 PM
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2017 9:24:55 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

For most breeds, the average champion isn't competitive after 60 to 70 days old.

The game moves on.

Will

Replies in this thread : 21
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.