Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : High COI?
 Aniron
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/22/2018 7:04:51 AM reply with quote send message to Aniron Object to Post   

I was wondering about COI. I know that some people will breed mothers to sons, fathers to daughters, or even pups from the same litter together in order to cement traits. Do you show pups resulting from high COI litters? Are they faulted for high COI in the show?

Thanks
 South Canada
Basic User

Basic User
1/22/2018 8:54:33 AM reply with quote send message to South Canada Object to Post

They can be shown. However pups with a high COI (such as brother sister breedings) tend to come out lower quality then the parents so I tend to avoid this unless I have no prospects to outcross to, in order to preserve the trait. Even in this situation I will often work around this by breeding the same dog to numerous other dogs untill I have a pair of half siblings to breed together which keeps the COI to a tolerable level and will get your SOP up faster.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
1/22/2018 6:23:06 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

Coi over 15 will start to have a negative effect on the pups traits. The more over it is the more the effect.
 Zoomies
Basic User

Basic User
1/23/2018 5:09:38 AM reply with quote send message to Zoomies Object to Post

Half siblings tend to work out ok.

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=16078581

this breeding was done with half siblings, the litter ended up producing one of my best dogs happy :)

(South Canada @ Zoomies)

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.