Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Source breeding
 Thundering Hills Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/22/2018 3:41:18 PM reply with quote send message to Thundering Hills Kennel Object to Post   

In a couple of my kennels I am starting from scratch, which is not by choice. I'm about 3 generations in with some dogs and I am still seeing no results. On very rare occasions I'll get a dog with a trait between 1-19 but still in the reds.
Does anyone have any tips on how to get semi better dogs?
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/22/2018 4:28:54 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

It takes a loooooooong time to see results from the bottom....

I think once you clear all the source dogs out of the 3 gen pedigree it speeds up a little bit.

Will
 Thundering Hills Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/22/2018 9:50:58 PM reply with quote send message to Thundering Hills Kennel Object to Post

The breeders that are in the breeds I am starting from scratch refused to let me in the breed(s) which is why I am starting from scratch. Thankfully one of the breeds I'm starting from scratch in has 2 other source breeders so hopefully we could see some sort of result after 4+ generations
 Aniron
Basic User

Basic User
1/23/2018 5:53:46 AM reply with quote send message to Aniron Object to Post

Did you change the view on your dog's page so that it shows the old system in addition to the new system?

You can get a better idea early on in a source project by viewing the old stats of the dogs.

If you haven't turned this on, you can do so from the My Account page under Account Settings. Make sure the Old Ratings box says On.

It does take a long time to breed completely from source. Some folks have been working at it for 9 to 11 years.
 Thundering Hills Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/23/2018 8:33:41 AM reply with quote send message to Thundering Hills Kennel Object to Post

I'll try changing the view happy :) I know its a long process and I'm not expecting to see or get any dogs in the 90's anytime soon but I'm just looking for some type of progress.
 Caulfeilds Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/23/2018 12:58:16 PM reply with quote send message to Caulfeilds Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have been doing TRUE source breeding in here since 2006.
You have to have the patience of job to do real source breeding
True source breeding is breeding identical generations to each other like Gen 1 bitch to Gen 1 stud etc.

some breedings are better than others.
Some are almost identical to their last generation and others are better.

I keep the best from each breeding.
I do not pay any attention to Show Shine
Know what traits you want and improve on those.

If you are like me, crazy, and want to make this your life long job..LMAO, contact me and I can help you more.

Carol

-----
Last edited by Caulfeilds Kennels on 3/21/2018 3:13:50 PM
 Dusty Feathers
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/21/2018 2:07:03 PM reply with quote send message to Dusty Feathers Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

What is the difference between the old system and the new system? I've never used the old and would like to understand it better for my source project. I already set it to ON. It seems a little more generous with a dogs good points.

-----
Last edited by Dusty Feathers on 3/21/2018 2:11:51 PM
 Caulfeilds Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/21/2018 3:13:07 PM reply with quote send message to Caulfeilds Kennels Object to Post

The "old" system is something I never use as the numbers are far from accurate. Yes, they look better but are not accurate.
The old system is where we used to be before the Reset.
Some breeds SOPs were 100 and this corrected their traits. Not sure if 'corrected' is the right word.

Carol
 Jett
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/25/2018 6:45:00 PM reply with quote send message to Jett Object to Post

The reset just added another number past the decimal to make a different number and make a bit more of a challenge to hit 100.

Honestly I'm hoping that Jeff doesn't another reset because it's fun building!

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.