Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : New Junior Update: Puppy Playdate!
 Berry Brits
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/29/2018 2:47:23 AM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post   

My baby is growing so fast. D: Junior is now 25lbs! We're trying to brainstorm registered names for him, if anybody has ideas please contribute! Right now the top pick is "Warbonnet Sir Galahad", with Warbonnet being the breeder's prefix. happy :) Sir Galahad was the son of Sir Lancelot and found the holy grail.

Here's a quick stacked photo (I'm still an amateur with stacking, we took so many pictures but this was the best attempt):

And here's a ton of pictures of Junior with my friend's puppy Lucy (there are a lot of these but they're just -so- cute!):

gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/29/2018 11:02:39 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

He's looking better. You'll have to work on getting him stacked while your standing and without the cookie in his face (lol).

Nice puppy pics. Looks like they get along well and wore each other out.
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2018 10:14:37 AM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

Yeah, I’ve tried watching stacking videoes and they make r seem so easy lol. My issue currently is that when I have a treat and he doesn’t know what I want him to do (or if I’m standing) he’ll sit - which is kind of the opposite of what I need him to do. razz :p And if I do t have a treat he’ll get distracted super easily. Ah well, we’re working on it!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/30/2018 7:38:52 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Do you have access to show handling classes in your area? Any shows you can attend and ask? Join a dog club that includes conformation folks too, if you can. Obedience training has a bit different focus.

I think you need a finer collar/lead - a show lead - but you can start with what you have.

Bring the collar up on his neck, just behind his ears.

Fold the lead up so it doesn't trail and hold it in your left hand. Keep the lead taut at this point but don't string him up - just enough to keep his head in position. (Loose is best if he'll keep his head up on his own - it will and should drop when he is moving but not to the ground. I showed cockers, they're closer to the ground and they want to sniff.)

The right hand and pockets (gotta have pockets) are for the treats. Don't over do the treats.

Now move forward at good speed - don't run yet but just fast enough that he goes into a nice trot. Start slow and build speed as you progress.

Pick a spot and bring him to a stop - gradually.

As you are coming to the stop, give the command to "stand" - whatever word you use. You'll need to transfer the lead to your right hand now.

If he tends to sit put your left just in front of his stifle and apply enough backward and upward pressure to stop him from sitting. Repeat command. Take him a step forward if needed.

At this point you should be holding the lead at the collar, your left hand is adjusting feet if needed then up to his tail, again, if needed. If he keeps his tail positioned correctly, leave it alone. Move your right hand to the dogs lower jaw, fingers in that groove underneath, thumb on top (but discretly) to hold his head in place. Give the command and good boy for compliance. Don't manhandle but be firm.

Hold this position for a few seconds then transfer the lead back to the left hand, get the treat from the right pocket, stuff it in his mouth with another "good boy", a thump on his front and move off again and repeat.

The treat is used not really to hold him in a stacked position but to keep his attention on you. The judge should not really see the dog eating - lol.

I hope this helped. I'm sure there are others who can give you more and better advise. I'm a bit rusty, especially with a totally green puppy like you have and I had to stop frequently to imagine myself doing this again.

Over time as both you and Junior learn you might be able to go more and more "hands free" - its a beautiful coordinated procedure at its best - like a dance, you and your partner. Showing should be fun for both you and the dog. He should be animated but under control.

Show leads from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dog+show+lead&sprefix=dog+show%2Caps%2C278&crid=19FDZ6T3KO2RX
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2018 3:42:13 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

Thank you so much for all the advice! I'll definitely try all of it. laugh :D

Unfortunately there aren't many conformation or obedience classes that I can find around here but I'm going to get in contact with a local Brittany breeder (not Junior's breeder) to ask her some questions. happy :) Hopefully she'll be able to point me in a direction that the internet couldn't!

I did, however, find a really awesome agility training place so I'm hoping to start bringing Junior to those. happy :)
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/2/2018 4:37:53 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

If you can find a local breeder to help you that would be great! It doesn't even have to be Brittanies - setters, pointers would probably do just as well as long as they are willing to help.

Good luck.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.