Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Prefixes
 BlaznHot
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/29/2018 12:37:57 AM reply with quote send message to BlaznHot Object to Post   

When selling a dog, is it unreasonable to request that buyers use my prefix when naming the dog?? Or am I best off just naming it myself so it has my prefix?
I thought it was just polite to keep the breeder's prefix, and have done so with dogs that I've bought off others.
 Lisboa
Basic User

Basic User
10/29/2018 3:02:50 AM reply with quote send message to Lisboa Object to Post

Hi

This is a can of worms.

Some of us name the dog before we sell it so we know that it has your prefix.

Some of us figure that we're selling the dog so we don't care what they name it.

Some of us hope that the buyer will either prefix the dog with our kennel, or put 'of' or 'from' and our kennel name. We try not to get upset about it if they don't, because if we were that concerned we would name the dog before sales.

So, you decide which way you plan to go. Not all buyers follow the idea of putting of or from in the dog's name. I try to do this, but sometimes I forget.

Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/29/2018 9:14:56 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

Name it yourself if it is really an issue.
 terryterrier
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/29/2018 12:12:09 PM reply with quote send message to terryterrier Object to Post

I agree with the previous post. But I think unnamed dogs sell better In my opinion and I'd rather shift my surplus quality stock then bother about names.

Personally I name bought in dogs with the breeder's prefix at the front then of/at which follows the UK kennel club system. If I bred both parents I put my affix at the beginning, then the breeders, which again is allowed by the UK KC.
 Bitte Bling
Basic User

Basic User
10/29/2018 2:18:31 PM reply with quote send message to Bitte Bling Object to Post

It doesn't bother me a bit to buy a pup that is already named. That said, I sell my pups un-named as I won't "expect" it to be sessioned & shown that way. Plus it does bother some people to buy a named puppy, & I don't really care if they give it their kennel name. Once they buy it it's their dog, not mine. Kennel prestige just isn't an issue for me I guess.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/29/2018 10:17:27 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

I name my pups because I want to follow my bloodline. I don't give a rip about prestige, but I do like to see if my bloodlines continue. By having my kennel on them, I can track it. I usually ask if the buyer has a name preference and will abide by that as long as my kennel name is on it. It's more for breeding than anything else.
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/29/2018 11:11:04 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

When I sell a puppy, the seller can name it whatever they want.
 BlaznHot
Basic User

Basic User
10/30/2018 6:09:34 AM reply with quote send message to BlaznHot Object to Post

posted by XiZang
I name my pups because I want to follow my bloodline. I don't give a rip about prestige, but I do like to see if my bloodlines continue. By having my kennel on them, I can track it. I usually ask if the buyer has a name preference and will abide by that as long as my kennel name is on it. It's more for breeding than anything else.
Yes I think this is what it comes down to for me. I was so excited the other day to see a dog that I'd bred in a dog's lines that happened to beat one of my dogs haha.

All good. I'll just continue naming them. Leaving them unnamed doesn't seem to make them sell any faster anyway wink ;)

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.