Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 10

Author Topic : Dressing "Down" in Show Ring
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/20/2019 8:26:24 AM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hello! I was curious on what people thought about dressing "down" in the show ring. I have really bad sciatic nerve and getting all dolled up in a skirt suit with flats just isn't really going to be doable for me. Since all of the shows I do are around warmer weather months, I decided to try this little outfit. I was curious what people thought.
I got two pairs of pants because I figured both pants would give the outfit a different look. I was also going to pair them with some matching low top sneakers.
I just wanted to see what people thought about outfits like this in the show ring. I know the one show we are going to is literally during one of the hotter weeks of the year where we live.

i65.tinypic.com/f9jigj.jpg

i67.tinypic.com/o87zu8.jpg

i66.tinypic.com/2eyevjl.jpg

-----
Last edited by Emily.Rose on 2/20/2019 8:31:00 AM
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/20/2019 12:43:37 PM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

LOL I have to say that having just watched the lab judging at Westminster Show that is what stunned me the most, the way everyone is all dressed up in skirts and weird slipper like shoes.

imust admit that over here we don't dress up unless I suppoae showing something 'cutesy' ie small, fluffy type.

I tend to wear whatever keeps the mud off when i have to exercise them before the show, and whatever keeps the rain off at the show!

i haven't worn a skirt since I left school and no one would get me in one for anything - especially when handling big powerful dogs - and as for wearing flimsy little shoes - how on earth do you walk a dog in them, or does everyone change just before they go in the ring!!
You can always tell the imported show dogs at Crufts, the handlers are all dressed up!
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
2/20/2019 2:03:26 PM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Normally I wear black dress pants with lots of buttons, but I have arthritis. So, my recent go to is a nice skirt and a nice blouse. I used to have a nice little black jacket I would wear that was super nice to dress things up.
To me, I think the outfit I got is really casual, but I just don't know if it is too casual. Normally the ladies here have on some nice skirts or dress pants and then a nice blouse.
And I TOTALLY agree about the shoes. I just don't understand how none of the ladies fall flat on their faces.

-----
Last edited by Emily.Rose on 2/20/2019 2:04:57 PM
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/20/2019 11:31:52 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I haven't shown for some years but I think the dress code has become rather more flexible these days. Slacks and a blazer or pant suit were all I ever wore. Shoes should always be something safe to run in if your breed requires that.

Ladies, don't get hung up about skirts and dresses - it no longer applies. You are going to be bending over at the waist and there are going to be spectators sitting behind you.

Summer/outdoor shows tend to be more casual - for very practical reasons. Some shows such as Westminster will likely always remain dressier but are more the exception than the rule. I'm not a fashion guru by any means but I think "Business Casual" is an apt description. Take note of what everyone else is wearing and don't outshine your dog!

Archania
Basic User

Basic User
2/21/2019 3:16:08 AM reply with quote send message to Archania Object to Post

I show in the Uk so I’m not too familiar with the ‘dress code’ in the USA etc, and it might vary from breed to breed.
Over here we have open shows and championship shows. At open shows the dress code is much more casual. Jeans, trainers and a nice fitted jacket. Or if it’s an outdoor show then people normally wear a nice top like the one in your pictures without a jacket.
Championship shows are a different ballgame. Then we have dress suits or trouser / skirt suits. My personal preference is a dress suit. I can ditch the jacket for outdoor summer shows and still look presentable.

I had one occasion a few years ago where I took my dog to a championship show and I had just thrown on a pair of leather trousers, ugg boots and a fitted jacket, thinking that will do...
My dog won best of breed and was then shortlisted in the Utility Group. There’s nothing more embarrassing than seeing your Leather clad backside and floppy boots on TV against a sea of beautifully dressed people. Since that day I have made sure I’m always dressed appropriately!
 Rivacre Gundogs
Basic User

Basic User
2/21/2019 3:23:29 AM reply with quote send message to Rivacre Gundogs Object to Post

Personally I just dress in something I'm comfortable. In my breed there's a mix between whether people dress up or not.
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/21/2019 4:02:53 PM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

I dont wear skirts, not even at westminster. Lol I wear a basic pair of slacks, and either a dressy blouse when it's hot out, or a nice blazer. And I show dogs that move so I wear some good plain black sneakers. happy :)
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/22/2019 12:21:54 PM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

Glad I'm not the only one not into dressing up!The judge is supposed to be looking at the dog after all!!lol

But there is one thing I was told right at the beginning of my handling life, and it still counts now, I try to never wear trousers the same colour as the dog I am showing!

Was told off once quite fairly for doing so, although I had only taken on the dog at short notice and it was an all black (rare in the ring) and I was wearing black trousers as usual - judge did not like seeing six black legs going round the ring!

Have to say, in my breed there is a lot of running involved, and it isn't rare to see handlers looking like they are going to run the London Marathon!!
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
5/22/2019 4:31:29 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

If you want to be remembered/recognised always wear the same hat! Get the same one in two different colours if you wear very varied outfits. It neednt be anything feathery fancy if you are not dolled up. A renowned professional handler advised me this (UK).
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
5/22/2019 5:01:19 AM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

posted by Star Shiine
If you want to be remembered/recognised always wear the same hat! Get the same one in two different colours if you wear very varied outfits. It neednt be anything feathery fancy if you are not dolled up. A renowned professional handler advised me this (UK).
Lol! That is ingenious! When we go to auctions (I know, not dog shows), it is funny because everyone talks about the guy in the black cowboy hat. Apparently, he's had the same hat, going to all the tractor auctions since my dad was a little kid to buy up all the tractors.
 Sukai Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/22/2019 9:46:23 AM reply with quote send message to Sukai Kennel Object to Post

normally, I would wear a simple dress that has the dog stand out and some simple black sneakers, when they say dress down, i go with a simple black leggings and a light dressy breathable shirt, and the simple black sneakers.
I have also shown while pregnant, in summer and i wore a spaghetti strap top with stretchy leggings.
As long as you look "nice and professional" not many judges care especially in summer they want people to be comfortable not passing out due to heat stroke

Replies in this thread : 10

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler