Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Need some input...
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/4/2019 8:27:57 PM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post   

I've got a really odd question. I work with adults with developmental disabilities in helping them get new skills in order to obtain jobs in the community. We were throwing around the idea of making dog leashes to donate to a local dog shelter. Then we were talking about making a lot of them and selling half to cover the costs of making them and then donating the other half. We're exploring quite a few jobs and learning a lot of new skills with this project on top of giving back to the community.
The leashes we're making are just simple 550 paracord with a welded o-ring on one side and then a loop on the other. They're just simple slip leads that way they can be used for all sizes of dogs at the shelter. They're definitely strong leashes.
My main thing is, does anyone have an idea where we might sell them? I was thinking that it would be neat to do some sort of online shop, but I got to talking to a few people and was basically told that it was a bad idea because no one really buys from new sellers and they you have to deal with complainers who want everything for free. Does anyone have any ideas? We were thinking about going to a dog show to sell them, but we most likely would not be able to make 90% of them this year as an outing.
Anyone have an idea how to maybe reach out to a different community of dog people to sell these leashes? Or, would you buy one for like $2 or $2.50 (just to gauge if people would actually use them, you don't actually have to buy one, lol).
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/4/2019 11:31:52 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Sounds like a worthy cause. I'm not sure how much I'd use one but I could see having a couple of them on hand for emergencies.

Have you thought about checking with local pet supply shops and vet clinics? Perhaps as a community service they'd be willing to give them some space.
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
3/5/2019 5:04:24 AM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

That's actually a pretty good idea about the vet clinics. The local pet stores are all corporate and don't do a lot of service things. But I like that vet clinic idea. Thanks!
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
3/5/2019 7:00:26 AM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

Might be better to offer them at a higher price as a "donation" to whatever organization they support.
 Diasonia
Basic User

Basic User
3/5/2019 7:22:13 AM reply with quote send message to Diasonia Object to Post

I don't know what country you are from but Etsy is a great place for hand-made stores.
Facebook shop would be another good place to market the cause adn sell the product.
 Subzero
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/6/2019 1:32:58 AM reply with quote send message to Subzero Object to Post

do you have a page? I'm from NZ but could support!
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
3/10/2019 6:03:22 AM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you everyone for all the great ideas!
We are located in US. We might look back into the Etsy idea. I've been told that it is very hard to sell things on Etsy, but maybe I was just told the wrong information or misunderstood them.
Maybe selling them and just doing a donation might be better so they can use it for medical or whatever.

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.