Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 14

Author Topic : Standard Poodles have been at 100
 Windgate
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/21/2019 10:53:12 AM reply with quote send message to Windgate Object to Post   

The Standard Poodle has topped out at 100 SOP. In the past when breeds got to 100 Jeff has adjusted the decimals. I wonder when it going to happen again. I think there are other breeds out there who have also hit 100.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/21/2019 11:09:05 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

I have Goldens and Danes as well as SPoodles which have all hit 100. I know there are others as well. It pretty much takes all the fun out of breeding. I have other breeds so those 3 are pretty much inactive at the moment. I just keep a dog and a bitch around for down the road if anything changes. If you breed for color it's not so bad but otherwise, there's not much to do.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/21/2019 11:09:06 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

I have Goldens and Danes as well as SPoodles which have all hit 100. I know there are others as well. It pretty much takes all the fun out of breeding. I have other breeds so those 3 are pretty much inactive at the moment. I just keep a dog and a bitch around for down the road if anything changes. If you breed for color it's not so bad but otherwise, there's not much to do.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/21/2019 11:09:36 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Sorry for the double post, I am having server issues apparently.
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/21/2019 7:25:53 PM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

I can understand your frustration.

But to put the other side of the argument. There are those breeders who have put in a lot of effort to get their breeds high in SOP and want the chance to get to 100.

The Keeshond breed, for example, has just topped 99 SOP, and I am just one breeder, would love the chance to get to 100 SOP.

And I very much doubt I am the only one, even breeders with lower SOPs are working hard to get to that target eventually.

Only a suggestion, but why not take on a secondary low SOP breed, and develop that.

XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/21/2019 10:29:07 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Oh, I have many other breeds, it just seems a shame for 3 breeds to be just vegetating.
 me__0021
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/21/2019 11:26:54 PM reply with quote send message to me__0021 Object to Post

I have 3 breeds, one being Goldens. I'm still breeding away, because it has now become about the hidden decimals. Despite being at 100% my dogs are in no way winning BIS or BIG every day.

I do think we need to do something about this though. I breed two other breeds that aren't be any means as popular (Flat-coats and Sussex Spaniels) and I would absolutely appreciate a reset in those breeds as well. My goal in breeding isn't necessarily to hit 100% but instead to breed better dogs than the parents.

It would be good to hear more input into this, and if Jeff has a plan, or if the plan is to simply let the game tick along as it has been.

BeauBlanc
Basic User

Basic User
4/22/2019 12:49:26 AM reply with quote send message to BeauBlanc Object to Post

I think it would have to be done differently than it was in the past, because there is such a spread of SOPs now. There are so many breeds that have restarted from scratch, it would be almost impossible to roll them back, or you'd be causing a huge setback to the people already struggling.

Regardless though, I'd be shocked if any sort of updates were in the plans for this site.
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/22/2019 11:53:12 AM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

So Me, you keep everything you breed and session etc until you can show them to see who comes out on top? I have questions about this.

1. How can you tell who is the best when different judges like different dogs? Just because one might win more than the others, that doesn't mean the hidden decimal is better. That dog could very well lose under different judges.

2. Jeff has said that the SOP is not part of the game.

3. If you don't keep every pup with a SS of 20, how many can you keep and not go broke? And how do you decide which ones?

Just curious. I would like to do something with my 100 SOP breeds, but don't know what... I've tried Obedience and don't find any kind of challenge there.
 GaylanStudio9
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/22/2019 6:57:21 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio9 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

As far as evaluating the dogs through show results, make use of the owner-handler judges and no handler specialties - this eliminates the handler influence.

The remaining differences would be subject to judge preferences and you'd just have to guess and/or use "gut instincts". It might take a little more concentration but if a judge is high on heads, just as an example, and one dog tends to place higher with head-judges, you could assume that its head is closer to the perfect 10.0000 than the others who might be 10.010 or 9.998.

This is actually where the game more closely approaches real life - sometimes the differences are very slight and sometimes a excellent head and a so-so shoulder beats a so-so head and an excellent shoulder. And sometimes it doesn't.

-----
Last edited by GaylanStudio9 on 4/22/2019 6:59:46 PM
 Marquetry
Basic User

Basic User
4/22/2019 9:44:00 PM reply with quote send message to Marquetry Object to Post

Based on how things have been going, I would agree that it's highly unlikely that we're going to have another reset. There has been nothing to indicate that a change of that magnitude will happen again.

But that doesn't mean we're without options. Gaylan gives us a good idea of what it would be like to continue to play with 100 breeds.

Or like XiZang, you could hang on to your 100s in hopes that something might happen.

Or there are lots of other breeds that can be played where 100 won't be happening for quite some time.

I guess the game will be here until it reaches the point that it's no longer worthwhile for the owner, and then it won't be. Don't know how long that may be but enjoy it while it still is.

Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/22/2019 10:34:29 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

Excellent points, GaylanStudio. I will give it some thought.
 me__0021
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/23/2019 7:11:48 AM reply with quote send message to me__0021 Object to Post

Hi Tarot,

In terms of your questions, I'm not keeping everything that is 100%. Instead I'm keeping 1 puppy from each litter. While I'm getting more and more at 100% it's still not the whole litter. My rule at the minute is to pick puppy 4.

In terms of looking at who does well, it's more about consistent placing well. I have some dogs that simply finish quickly, whereas others struggle. So I take these as being the ones, particularly from my boys, who I want to breed to.

I hope this makes sense. I'm nowhere near as scientific playing this game as I used to be.

Jessica
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/23/2019 11:14:43 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

(I'm Tarot BTW). That makes a lot of sense Me__. I find it funny that you pick pup #4 because that's my lucky #. That gives me some guidelines. Thanks! It would be fun to enjoy those 2 kennels again.
 Just About Farms
Basic User

Basic User
4/23/2019 1:42:01 PM reply with quote send message to Just About Farms Object to Post

The last time Jeff reset he reset all the breeds. How about just resetting those breeds at 100 back to, say 96. In all probability if a reset does not come along soon I will be giving up the standard poodles because there is no challenge anymore. All I get are 100s, rarely anything less.

Replies in this thread : 14

The Kennel Club (UK) system, which is also used by the Australian National Kennel Council[1] and in other countries, is considered the most difficult to earn a title under.