Search

.com Forum · Bug Reporting and Suggestions

Replies in this thread : 14

Author Topic : Dog Catcher?
 Whiskey Mac
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/23/2019 4:23:15 PM reply with quote send message to Whiskey Mac Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I've been away for a longggg time (7-8 years!) and I've been combing through the forums to see what I've missed. So far, I understand that Jeff and the staff are fairly uninvolved now, not that it really matters to me. Through all the bug complaints and fix requests, I haven't seen anything about the dog catcher not working.

I only ask because I've been coming across a lot of basic accounts that appear to have been inactive for (bare minimum) a couple weeks, but still have 10+ dogs. It's not really a problem to me, and I'm not upset about it, I'm just curious.

For example:

www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=Heavenly+Hacienda+

Lots of dogs, basic account, hasn't logged in for over a month. Just seems strange to me that all the strict rules that once existed seem to no longer be enforced.

-----
Last edited by Whiskey Mac on 8/23/2019 4:24:51 PM
 Azawakh Inc.
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2019 4:39:32 PM reply with quote send message to Azawakh Inc. Object to Post

There are a lot of things that go on now....
Apparently one can now have a new basic kennel made once a week- like some are really taking advantage of that glitch

A lot of users do let their kennels go basic and place all the dogs up for stud so others can use them

In a way, that does help some that are involved in color projects, so maybe that is a good thing that the dog crawler is asleep.
 Whiskey Mac
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2019 4:47:40 PM reply with quote send message to Whiskey Mac Object to Post

Oh, Dog CRAWLER. I knew Dog Catcher didn't sound right. Thank you!

The excess amount of basics seems so strange. The ShowDog game I knew was so very strict on the rules and guidelines, and was much more popular.

It's almost sad being back now, but I'm excited to work on some project breeds in the near future.
 Grasslans*
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/23/2019 9:21:16 PM reply with quote send message to Grasslans* Object to Post

I recently went inactive for a few months and every account still had all the dogs plus pups that I'd never gotten around to sorting, most of them with over 50. It was rather alarming to try to cut back down to start again.

The only reason dogs left was because they had gotten old and died.

-----
Last edited by Grasslans* on 8/23/2019 9:21:34 PM
 Whiskey Mac
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2019 11:23:51 PM reply with quote send message to Whiskey Mac Object to Post

That is so strange! I’m astounded at how much the game has changed. It’s such a shame that there don’t seem to be as many active breeders as there once were. Making friends and being part of the community is much harder now
 GaylanStudio4
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/3/2019 9:35:09 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio4 Object to Post

If the kennel is inactive the dog-snatcher (my preferred name) does not visit. It allows folks to leave if life gets busy and resubscribe later without loosing anything. Dogs are taken from Basics only if the account is being logged into.

-----
Last edited by GaylanStudio4 on 9/7/2019 4:08:44 PM
 Whiskey Mac
Basic User

Basic User
9/3/2019 11:38:02 PM reply with quote send message to Whiskey Mac Object to Post

When it put it that way, it sounds like a really good idea. Thanks everyone for catching me up!
 Alpha1234
Basic User

Basic User
9/10/2019 10:04:31 AM reply with quote send message to Alpha1234 Object to Post

hello sorry but i'm new and i don't understand what is the Dog Crawler
 Whiskey Mac
Basic User

Basic User
9/10/2019 10:09:04 AM reply with quote send message to Whiskey Mac Object to Post

posted by Alpha1234
hello sorry but i'm new and i don't understand what is the Dog Crawler
When a user goes over their kennel limit (5 for basic, 30 for standard) the dog crawler will randomly take dogs until you’re back down to your kennel limit.

I would suggest going to the top right corner of the webpage and clicking the ‘Help’ option. The majority of your questions will be answered there.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/14/2019 1:21:58 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Yes, especially with the Dobes. A lot of kennels abuse in the breed. Tons of super kennels and kennels that will use a basic for breedings then dump it....

It's been an issue for years. Don't be surprised when you see one of your fellow breeders have a kennel over 30 dogs... over 10 pregnancies... with tons of pups in the kennel... yet they are still showing...

Will
 Whiskey Mac
Basic User

Basic User
9/14/2019 2:20:17 PM reply with quote send message to Whiskey Mac Object to Post

posted by BarStar
Yes, especially with the Dobes. A lot of kennels abuse in the breed. Tons of super kennels and kennels that will use a basic for breedings then dump it....

It's been an issue for years. Don't be surprised when you see one of your fellow breeders have a kennel over 30 dogs... over 10 pregnancies... with tons of pups in the kennel... yet they are still showing...

Will

Yes, I’ve noticed it’s particularly bad with the Dobermans. Part of why I’m already leaving the breed. It’s too much to keep up with, and I already feel vastly unsuccessful.

Whiskey Mac
Basic User

Basic User
9/14/2019 2:20:18 PM reply with quote send message to Whiskey Mac Object to Post

posted by BarStar

Will

Yes, I’ve noticed it’s particularly bad with the Dobermans. Part of why I’m already leaving the breed. It’s too much to keep up with, and I already feel vastly unsuccessful.

Black Raven Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/22/2019 11:55:46 PM reply with quote send message to Black Raven Kennels Object to Post

posted by BarStar

Will

You can purchase up to 5 additional slots. I haven't been able to enter shows when I'm at 36 dogs (I purchased the extra slots) though or breed. If you've already entered dogs for showing that isn't going to count. Just new entries/breedings.
 mineiis
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/7/2019 10:27:52 PM reply with quote send message to mineiis Object to Post

From what I have seen since I dropped my family account last year and 15 kennels are basic. The DOG CRAWLER is only activated if you continue to sign into the kennel. I'm able to look at my kennels by going thru one of them without actually signing in. By leavig it dormant I have only lost dogs to old age (deceased) none have been taken.

I'm hoping to be able to play actively again soon.
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/8/2019 6:12:02 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

posted by Black Raven Kennels
posted by BarStar

Will

You can purchase up to 5 additional slots. I haven't been able to enter shows when I'm at 36 dogs (I purchased the extra slots) though or breed. If you've already entered dogs for showing that isn't going to count. Just new entries/breedings.

The user Will is talking about had over 50 or more adult dogs at a time. But it looks like that user isn't abusing the game rules as much these days.

Replies in this thread : 14

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.