Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Update on Server Switch
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

System.__ComObject Forum Moderator
10/20/2019 5:40:34 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post   

We’re in the process of switching web servers and it will take a while to get everything setup and scheduled properly. Please keep posting the issues I miss and I'll get to them as they come up.

Things that went wrong overnight…

Sessions – Fixed and they will go out as normal tonight.
Shows – Fixed and they are running on schedule again. The issue was that the version I uploaded bypassed certain parts of the show process.

Why did I do this on the weekend?

Because we’re doing all of the sites at once and while this site doesn’t really increase or decrease dramatically during the weekends, our larger sites do. Showdog does not have a day that is significantly larger or smaller traffic than the other sites.

Is the new server slower?

No, we just have to get everything setup properly. Until then, yes, things will seem slower. The pages that are the slowest right now are the pages where things are written to the database, the most common of which is when you login.

Why are we stitching servers?

Our old server was running on version of Windows that have reached end of life. There were extra fees of several hundred dollars a month just to keep running it.

Also, you could not run more than one SSL site on the version of Windows we were on. In the next few days this site will switch over to SSL as well.

How long will the issues last?

I could lie to you and say a certain amount of days but the truth is, I’m not sure how long it will be until everything is optimized on the new setup.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
10/20/2019 5:42:07 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I will be leaving in about 30 minutes and will be back about 1 PM for anything missed. Shows are running as I type this but there are some issues that might stop them from finishing.

-----
Last edited by admin on 10/20/2019 5:47:21 AM
 Ranchstars
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/20/2019 9:36:58 AM reply with quote send message to Ranchstars Object to Post

Thanks for the update
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
10/20/2019 10:57:45 AM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

Is this why we can't access the showrabbits site at all???
 Aldeberan
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/20/2019 11:34:06 AM reply with quote send message to Aldeberan Object to Post

Thanks for the update. Good to hear from you, Jeff. I miss those live chats we used to have every so often.
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/21/2019 12:55:51 AM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

posted by Aldeberan
Thanks for the update. Good to hear from you, Jeff. I miss those live chats we used to have every so often.
Same here!
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2019 2:00:45 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Yes and me too
 AbleBaker
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2019 2:44:08 AM reply with quote send message to AbleBaker Object to Post

Hi Jeff

I appreciate your work here. You have a great game and moving it to a new server is a good move.

However, the amount of time I have to play this game comes in windows of time. Late sessions and slow response times has meant that I have not sessioned many dogs today, and entered none.

When will we see improvements?
 Grays
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/21/2019 4:37:06 AM reply with quote send message to Grays Object to Post

Unable to perform breedings
 Moon Acres
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/21/2019 4:40:15 AM reply with quote send message to Moon Acres Object to Post

No Sessions today
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/21/2019 5:00:27 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

Shows have not run.
 bryerwood kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/21/2019 7:50:34 AM reply with quote send message to bryerwood kennel Object to Post

No sessions or shows here
 Dancing Coyote
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2019 9:23:42 AM reply with quote send message to Dancing Coyote Object to Post

Since this seems to be the official place to report problems, I just sponsored a show today, but the show isn't on the schedule and I still have my money. I tried a second time to sponsor a show, but it says the name is taken.
 themidnighthour
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2019 9:43:42 AM reply with quote send message to themidnighthour Object to Post

no sessions yet.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

10/21/2019 11:25:18 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

Sessions - Looks like SQL Jobs was not started on the new server, it is now. Sessions have been granted and should work going forward now.

Site Speed - A lot more ambiguous, basically only priority for the rest of today.
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/21/2019 11:56:34 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

Any update on the shows?
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

10/21/2019 2:03:31 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

You're going to see some times in the upper left portion of the site for a little while.

Please ignore them, just trying to find the bottleneck.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

10/21/2019 2:50:42 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

If you see the [New Server] message on the top of the page, please let me know if you are still having site speed issues BUT ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE STARTED SEEING THAT MESSAGE. If you don't see that message, the most recent fix attempt hasn't propagated to you yet.

-----
Last edited by admin on 10/21/2019 2:51:12 PM
 AbleBaker
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2019 3:32:27 PM reply with quote send message to AbleBaker Object to Post

Jeff - speed of response has come back and it's flying.

Thank you.
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/21/2019 4:04:54 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

4 PM SD time

No shows have run. Well at least the American Cocker National has not run yet.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

10/21/2019 4:17:46 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

I know, been trying to ok get speed back to normal.

Replies in this thread : 50
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.