Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 18

Author Topic : In what registry (registries) do you show and where?.
 LoupGarou
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/3/2019 9:32:42 PM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post   

I show my dogs in both AKC and UKC. Although there are more AKC shows available, I typically like the UKC shows better. If I am showing by myself, I typically show my dogs in Mississippi, Louisiana, or Alabama. If I am showing with my friend and co-breeder, then I typically show in Texas, closer to her.
 Sukai Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
12/4/2019 5:16:56 AM reply with quote send message to Sukai Kennel Object to Post

I show in both AKC and UKC as well, also do barn hunt with my girl. I show in NY, CT, NJ, MA sometimes. mostly stay close to home in NY due to 4 kids and work
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
12/5/2019 1:25:00 PM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

I really want to start doing barn hunt, but it seems as if I run out of time. I have a natural for it. My little Johnny is a mouser extraordinaire and keeps the rodents out of the goats' food. For a six pound dog, he's scary fast!
 Panicstation
Basic User

Basic User
12/7/2019 8:35:57 AM reply with quote send message to Panicstation Object to Post

I'm based in the uk, so uk kc. My breed is on import register (like fss in akc). Don't show too much no adays as dog nearing 10yrs. My other breed cannot be exhibited as there's no breed standard published in the uk, however can enter field tests. Neither of my RL breeds are on Showdog.com
 Sukai Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
12/7/2019 8:44:06 AM reply with quote send message to Sukai Kennel Object to Post

for barn hunt he seems to have a nack for. My Basenji girl loves it she is my only show dog now, when i was a kid i had smooth collies, shiba inus, and saluki, I also did junior showmanship. Have taken the last 2 yrs. off to raise my youngest daughter, and to make sure my son has a good yr. in kindergarten, but i'm hoping to get to some showing soon
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
12/8/2019 6:56:25 AM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

Panic Station, what are your breeds? I have an English shepherd as one of my breeds, which can't be shown in AKC and a Teddy Roosevelt terrier, which has just moved out of the FSS into Miscellaneous. The rest of my dogs are Toy Fox Terriers. I don't know that any of them are recognized in the UK.
 Panicstation
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2019 9:10:26 AM reply with quote send message to Panicstation Object to Post

posted by LoupGarou
Panic Station, what are your breeds? I have an English shepherd as one of my breeds, which can't be shown in AKC and a Teddy Roosevelt terrier, which has just moved out of the FSS into Miscellaneous. The rest of my dogs are Toy Fox Terriers. I don't know that any of them are recognized in the UK.

Must say have only heard of English Shepherds which occasionally show up on the agility circuit.
My breeds are Bavarian Mountain Hound and Small Munsterlander, think both are FSS and in both the show dog world is a bit of a taboo topic worldwide. I do see more and more SM in the States take part in obedience and agility though.
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2019 11:57:04 AM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

English shepherds are more of a landrace than a breed, although they are recognized by the United Kennel Club over here. It is unlikely that they will ever be recognized by the AKC, at least not in my lifetime, as the current breeders want nothing to do with conformation shows. The dogs being shown in UKC are often pulled from the fields, bathed, and brought to shows for conformation evaluation. I'm going to do the same with Panda, my girl, in the spring. I'm going to get her hips evaluated as soon as I can afford to do so and have started getting various tests toward breeding her. happy :)

Panda with Lovie

Panda watching us put in the trough

Picardy
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/13/2019 10:27:55 AM reply with quote send message to Picardy Object to Post

I have Cairn Terriers, based in Canada so Canadian Kennel Club. My girl Luna is #1 Cairn in breed in Canada this year, completely breeder/owner handled (proud mama!)
Between myself and my co-breeder we've been down to the States to show AKC a bit too. Luna just needs 3 more singles to finish her AKC championship hoping to get those in 2020 before we plan babies. happy :)
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
12/13/2019 3:04:10 PM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

@Sukai Kennel, I wish I could get more involved with barn hunt. I have a couple of dogs that would be amazing at it, but I would have to go all the way to New Orleans (about 2 hours) or past Monroe (about 4.5 hours) to train my dogs or to compete. New Orleans is about as close as it gets for most kind of training, I'm afraid.

@Picardy, that's so cool about your Luna! Congrats! I don't get north much any longer, but I wish I could meet you and see your dogs. I love Cairns! However, I have a theory that if I went that far north, my Deep South blood might just freeze solid in my veins . . . wink ;)
 Ayashi no Ceres
Basic User

Basic User
12/13/2019 3:20:04 PM reply with quote send message to Ayashi no Ceres Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

how do u post pics? i did it once a long time ago and now i have forgotten

-----
Last edited by Ayashi no Ceres on 12/13/2019 3:22:30 PM
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
12/13/2019 3:40:30 PM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

Your picture has to have a link. SD.com uses markup to post pictures, not html. So, if you wanted to post a picture of your dog, it would be:

[img*]hostingsite.com/mydogimage.jpg[*/img]

(remove the asterisks before you use the code)
 Sukai Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
12/13/2019 4:24:13 PM reply with quote send message to Sukai Kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Azawakh Inc.
Basic User

Basic User
12/13/2019 4:36:23 PM reply with quote send message to Azawakh Inc. Object to Post

Loup
Your dog looks like the Border Collie that we have here in America
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
12/13/2019 4:47:46 PM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

I believe they are from the same landrace of dogs, Azawakh. English shepherds have slightly different heads than border collies and they have a different manner of interacting with the stock, having a looser eye and being adaptable to both herding and guarding. They also have fewer coat colors than border collies. I have heard ES described as being BCs with an "off switch" and I think it's a good description.
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2019 2:48:42 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Hi, For about 20 years I used to show WHWT and usually had between 6-10 adults and a couple of youngsters coming on.
We always had a choc Lab or two as well. Living in a very remote area in a far corner of Wales and with a young family I couldnt get many Championship/Crufts qualifying shows and sometimes qualified anmd usually placed at breed Speciality shows.

We did well at Open shows often with very hot competition. I loved it and all my days were dominated by the dogs. I had to re home almost all of them in 2005 during a long illness which was very sad, I was on my 7th generation.
I'm retired now and we have Bailey, honestly the funniest and most entertaining dog. He's a 3 yr old Cav x Brittany rescue and the light of our lives that came to us in August. We were nearly a whole year without a dog after our very last home bred Lab passed away. My showing days are over now, but I still go to watch when I can.
 Wordsmith
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/11/2020 7:44:23 PM reply with quote send message to Wordsmith Object to Post

I love how many people are here that show in RL. happy :)

I've been breeding and showing (American) Cocker Spaniels for over 35 years. Located in Pennsylvania and competing in AKC mostly. Although I have played some in UKC and International shows which I thought were wonderful and fun. I have always done my own handling and even did a little for others a long while back.

While playing SD I focus mostly on Borzoi. I had one as a teen. Even showed him some. But alas he wound up not good enough.

Happy showing!

Shannon
 Fukkatsu
Basic User

Basic User
2/26/2020 4:45:00 PM reply with quote send message to Fukkatsu Object to Post

Hi!

My name is Leo and in real life I have a saluki.
We are living in Poland (country in the Europe) and we are registered in Polish Kennel Club (ZKwP - it's a part of FCI).

I'm new in the game - would be amazing to meet someone, so feel free to message me!

Xoxo happy :)
 Ellenvees
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/28/2020 12:06:18 PM reply with quote send message to Ellenvees Object to Post

I am in UK so compete with UK Kennel Club, also do rally obedience, mantrailing and hoopers happy :)

One of mine is on import register also.

Replies in this thread : 18

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.