Author Topic : Changes Being Made, Litters, Sessions
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

System.__ComObject Forum Moderator
12/26/2019 12:09:25 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post   

Sorry for the bad Christmas.

Sessions

The session issue was caused by me dropping a volume on the new server and needing to restart it Tuesday morning. SQL Server Agent is still not setup to startup on restart and that’s what caused it to not work properly. This (SQL Server Agent) should be fixed by Friday night.

The sessions are on 100 per day until January 1st.

Please note that after that date, the sessions will return to NORMAL and will not be granted the multipliers they have been lately due to the server foolishness on my end.

Litter Delays

The litter delay Christmas morning was due to the same thing that caused them to be delayed. It’s an issue with one specific pregnancy and an invalid (lethal, etc.) color combination.

The litters should run normally within the next hour and I’m going to stay here at this Starbucks until they do.

Going forward if a source dog is unable to have a litter, that dog will be removed for the game and the owner compensated.

My phone number is 210-380-7459. Family takes up more and more time as the kids get older, I do not check the forums as regularly as I should but that is ESPECIALLY true on days like Christmas morning. Please do not hesitate to txt me if issues like this come up and I’ll get to them ASAP.

I've also brought on somebody to help with Livestockjudging.com (the games would be done without that site paying the VAST majority of the bills) so I can start checking the games more.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/26/2019 12:24:45 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Thank you Jeff. Sometimes we old timers forget you have a life and family now. LOL. Hope you had a great Christmas despite all this.

Interesting that one specific dog blocked all the litters.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
12/26/2019 12:28:14 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

It's like everyone is waiting in line patiently with only one register and there's an old guy in front trying to check something out that doesn't have a price tag or bar code. When it doesn't work, he tries again, then again, then again, and again.

The program isn't setup to just tell him to get out of line yet.
 Pembroke Pixie Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/26/2019 12:28:20 PM reply with quote send message to Pembroke Pixie Kennel Object to Post

posted by XiZang
Thank you Jeff. Sometimes we old timers forget you have a life and family now. LOL. Hope you had a great Christmas despite all this.

Interesting that one specific dog blocked all the litters.

I think it was one dog last time that broke the game too xD
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/26/2019 7:58:49 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

Thanks for all you do...especially on Christmas.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/26/2019 8:36:14 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

posted by admin
I've also brought on somebody to help with Livestockjudging.com (the games would be done without that site paying the VAST majority of the bills) so I can start checking the games more.
At times, I think we forget that SD isn't the cash cow like it was in it's hay day.

Jeff -

Thank you for keeping it alive. So many of us would have a large void to fill if it ever goes away. lol

Will
 Taylynn
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/27/2019 2:41:34 PM reply with quote send message to Taylynn Object to Post

I think if we had some changes made to showdog, improvements that have been suggested, we may be able to get more people paying again. I know several friends who were interested in playing but realized there are no custom pictures for the breeds they would be interested in. Simple stuff like that would be most likely an easy fix, but bring a lot more interest back into the game. The obedience page isn't up yet, and it's the little things like that that could make a huge difference. We appreciate all you do Jeff! I abandoned my 10+ year account due to a bad username choice when I made the account, but I have so enjoyed playing and want to help get more people playing again!
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2019 3:42:44 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Thanks Jeff, Can you tell us how many sessions we'll be getting after Jan 1st? Is it back to 12/No salary? or 48/No salary? Thanks.

-----
Last edited by Star Shiine on 12/28/2019 3:45:01 AM
 Flush
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2019 8:50:35 AM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post

posted by Taylynn
I think if we had some changes made to showdog, improvements that have been suggested, we may be able to get more people paying again. I know several friends who were interested in playing but realized there are no custom pictures for the breeds they would be interested in. Simple stuff like that would be most likely an easy fix, but bring a lot more interest back into the game. The obedience page isn't up yet, and it's the little things like that that could make a huge difference. We appreciate all you do Jeff! I abandoned my 10+ year account due to a bad username choice when I made the account, but I have so enjoyed playing and want to help get more people playing again!
I agree Taylynn regarding the custom pics. The only dog showing friend (showing and breeding Int.Ch) that I showed the game to was interested until she saw the custom pic for her breed and she laughed and immediately lost interest. sad :(
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/28/2019 10:06:48 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

posted by Taylynn
I had been asking Jeff to upload the Toy Poodle color pics that have been confirmed to exist for going on 2 years now.

No action. After multiple messages and a vague reply that my interest in my breed's color images is unimportant and, essentially, I can leave if I can't wait.

I am no longer a paying member for several reasons but the inaction really left a bad taste in my mouth.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/28/2019 10:07:19 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

For those wishing for custom pics, you can change dog pics over to ones of your choice.

You aren't stuck with the stock photos provided in the game.

Will
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/28/2019 10:34:14 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Not the point at all, but ok, if saying that makes you feel better about a site owner that doesn't care too much about those who pay money to play.

13 years on and the Jeff sycophants are still around. That always disgusted me about this game.

-----
Last edited by Comet Poodles on 12/28/2019 10:35:28 AM
 Temerity
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2019 10:55:25 AM reply with quote send message to Temerity Object to Post

I too wish that my breed had custom paintings, the way that other breeds do. I'd love to get into poodles, too, and think that the pics of them would be outstanding to have. If the pictures already exist, then why not upload them?

That being said, I've gotten this kennel out of hock due to Jeff's generosity with the sessions and am now ready to start playing again! Hooray!
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/28/2019 12:10:13 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Comet,

Your breed's situation with the pictures isn't what I was referring too. And, yeah, I've never understood if it was finished why it didn't get added yet.

The poster mentioned the friend was unhappy with the picture provided. I was simply stating the pics could be changed.

Will
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/28/2019 7:37:53 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

[\quote]I agree Taylynn regarding the custom pics. The only dog showing friend (showing and breeding Int.Ch) that I showed the game to was interested until she saw the custom pic for her breed and she laughed and immediately lost interest. sad :(

I can’t believe people would turn their backs on a game just because they don’t like their breed image.
I actually burst out laughing at this.
Rather petty and I doubt the lack of quality pictures was what turned this particular person away.
I recall eons ago, I added my own images. A member created stylized images of Cockers and shared them with us all.

Anyone who shows in RL will be fussy about a real photo.
Create your own for gosh sakes.( family room ??)

Before we got these images, my breeder friend gave me permission to use her show cocker’s image. Jeff agreed to use it and it is still there, seen only on the BISS Cocker at the National.
Anyways, these are my thoughts.
Pictures are minor, in my opinion

Carol
 Taylynn
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/28/2019 11:11:00 PM reply with quote send message to Taylynn Object to Post

posted by Clwyd Cockers
[\quote]I agree Taylynn regarding the custom pics. The only dog showing friend (showing and breeding Int.Ch) that I showed the game to was interested until she saw the custom pic for her breed and she laughed and immediately lost interest. sad :(

I can’t believe people would turn their backs on a game just because they don’t like their breed image.
Rather petty and I doubt the lack of quality pictures was what turned this particular person away.
I recall eons ago, I added my own images. A member created stylized images of Cockers and shared them with us all.

Before we got these images, my breeder friend gave me permission to use her show cocker’s image. Jeff agreed to use it and it is still there, seen only on the BISS Cocker at the National.

Carol
For someone who is already involved in the game and appreciates it? Yeah. But For someone who is brand new, and looking at, ooh, look at all these nice custom photos for these breeds, I wonder what my favorite breed might look like, and seeing an unfinished part of the game....is going to turn away their interest. You have to have that wow factor in every way possible to encourage people to join, let alone pay to play. Everyone who knows how great showdog can be, realizes it's a large inconvienience, and that photos can be changed. But that doesn't really change the fact that MANY people have asked over the years for the photos, that were already created and exist in Jeff's possession, be uploaded. It gets ignored. I doubt it's that big of a difficulty for them to be added and it starts seeming like the absolute bare minimum is being done. And considering, yes, the site doesn't bring in money like it used to, but people are still spending hard earned money on it, this small thing could pretty easily be fixed, and probably attract a lot more money into the game. I have a breed I haven't touched because of lack of pictures. It feels unfinished to me, and lacks the feel the rest of the game has when you have some stock photo (which most can agree, the majority of them were/are pretty bad to begin with). And having to acquire your own images is either annoying and taxing, or expensive (paying for your own custom images, etc) I think everyone just wants showdog to be all it can be again. Everyone here knows how awesome it can and has been.
 Flush
Basic User

Basic User
12/29/2019 2:04:46 AM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post

posted by Clwyd Cockers

Carol
I completely agree Carol, I did go on to say she could change them and what a great cleverly devised game it is but Its such a niche game. A few friends know I play but none have shown any interest.
 Flush
Basic User

Basic User
12/29/2019 2:09:15 AM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post

posted by Taylynn
posted by Clwyd Cockers

Carol

For someone who is already involved in the game and appreciates it? Yeah. But For someone who is brand new, and looking at, ooh, look at all these nice custom photos for these breeds, I wonder what my favorite breed might look like, and seeing an unfinished part of the game....is going to turn away their interest. You have to have that wow factor in every way possible to encourage people to join, let alone pay to play. Everyone who knows how great showdog can be, realizes it's a large inconvienience, and that photos can be changed. But that doesn't really change the fact that MANY people have asked over the years for the photos, that were already created and exist in Jeff's possession, be uploaded. It gets ignored. I doubt it's that big of a difficulty for them to be added and it starts seeming like the absolute bare minimum is being done. And considering, yes, the site doesn't bring in money like it used to, but people are still spending hard earned money on it, this small thing could pretty easily be fixed, and probably attract a lot more money into the game. I have a breed I haven't touched because of lack of pictures. It feels unfinished to me, and lacks the feel the rest of the game has when you have some stock photo (which most can agree, the majority of them were/are pretty bad to begin with). And having to acquire your own images is either annoying and taxing, or expensive (paying for your own custom images, etc) I think everyone just wants showdog to be all it can be again. Everyone here knows how awesome it can and has been.
I was incredulous too, but its exactly what happened.It was the quality of the dogs in the pictures/images that put her off totally. They may be minor in your opinion, but were not in hers.
 Dark Mirage
Basic User

Basic User
12/29/2019 9:26:57 AM reply with quote send message to Dark Mirage Object to Post

this post has been edited 5 time(s)

As someone who shows dogs IRL the photo is very important. Nobody wants an image of a less-than-quality dog as their breed photo. A poor quality dog in the image makes one think the game won't be realistic.

I played from 2004 to about 2012, and man, have things changed... SD used to be a hive of activity; shows had thousands of entries, the message boards and chat rooms were packed, there was always something to do if you were waiting for pups to be born or shows to run. It's rather sad to see things so quiet. If something as simple as changing a photo might get some more players, I'm all for it. The slow pace of starting out is also difficult-- and will really turn off a new player used to fast-paced, instant-gratification games. This is not that type of game, BUT whether one agrees with it or not, games that have quality graphics and reward the player who is on frequently with new things to do are those that are successful these days. With the low numbers of dogs for sale in many breeds, even a premium member starting will have a couple of weeks to a month where there's really nothing they can do in their kennels other than session dogs and wait for puppies to grow up enough to be shown and breed. Perhaps starting off new kennels with some sessioned, 'average for the breed' higher SOPs and fixing the graphics for breeds without one may help?

Sessions may need to stay higher for awhile. How else are kennels supposed to make money other than selling sessions? We used to be able to stay near the balance limit strictly on sponsoring shows as there were so many entries they paid for themselves, but that is no longer the case. Perhaps keeping sessions high plus increased salary for every dog sessioned, shown, etc. and lower food costs might also allow players to stay in the black long enough to be successful and become invested in the game.

-

-----
Last edited by Dark Mirage on 12/29/2019 9:33:28 AM
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/29/2019 10:48:09 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Dark MIrage -

How recently have you came back?

I rarely see anyone mention having money problems like back in the day.

If anything, there was a trend of people giving away money because so many people were rolling in extra sd cash.

There is a daily log in bonus. I find it covers most dog food expenses if you keep your dog count in check.

Will

Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2019 12:53:45 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I first played in 2005/6 when there was a max of 12 sessions/no salary. It was incredibly hard to start out then and stay solvent...$2500...to buy some good stock, often un sessioned so feeding an expensive custom ration.
Then there were stud fees to pay because you want to use the better stud dogs available at $100/$250 a pop. You only had enough sessions to get 4 puppies ready for the ring, and no salary coming in..there was no daily sign in bonus then, and by the time you have homnebred pups ready for the ring the balance would be at a few hundred dollars ..then you had to find entry fees.

In a quiet breed you couldnt afford stack an empty show. There were some free to enter shows then but they were so full unless you had a real star..unlikley when just starting out..you had no chance anyway. So, while all this is going on the bitches that bred you the first better puppies but not good enough to show, were sitting in the kennel doing nothing because you couldnt afford another stud and didnt want to waste them on a 30 day homebred that was not up to scratch.

Of course it didnt affect the already succesful kennels as they could afford to buy extra sessions and stay at the top of the breed because they could breed/show whenever they wanted and won/placed in groups with shows of 1000 entries, to boost their balances .To begin with you do need some salary so that meant even fewer sessions...8 a day.
I perservered bacause I enjoyed it so much and have been top of nearly every breed I have been in (about 12) even if it was just now and then.

I wonder how many will perservere like that now and to go back to penny pinching will be so miserable and I will leave.

I'm starting to wonder whether Jeff really wants to continue hosting this game or if he is doing a "constructive dismissal" and hope it fizzles out and goes away ..we never get anything new or any improvements made or any reasonable requests for small changes granted. Years ago when there were so many more family kennels he must have been minted and I would have thought there was enough to employ someone as a mod to handle day to day enquiries. I've tried not to bother admin over the years but I have had a couple of serious problems and never even had a reply let alone any action.

Shows results and puppies are often very late which can be incredibly inconvenient for people with a very busy life...i.e. I had litters plannedfor Christmas day because for me, I was going to be very busy Boxing Day and the few days after. I had time on C.Day to sort the whole kennel depending on the quality of the puppies born and now my kennel is overstocked..older puppies jumping into the adult box.. so until I have 2/3 hours to spare I cant show.

I also cant continue with my January breeding plan because we STILL dont know how many sessions we are going to get in January. I've got older males I need to use before FH but dont know what to do now. I'm REALLY fed up and so disappointed with this. We are paying to play and always, the news is bad. There are so many little changes that used to be suggested that would improve the game so much for many, but we never get any so mostly we've stopped asking. sad :(

Replies in this thread : 44
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.