Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Hello again! + breeding for color?
 PicketFence Kennels
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
1/6/2020 10:36:12 AM reply with quote send message to PicketFence Kennels Object to Post   

Hi all!

I used to play SD way back in the day and now I'm back again, and having a blast happy :) I'm loving a lot of the changes that have been made...in particular, the handlers and their rankings being listed on the Choose Handler page...I distinctly remember being on a dial up connection and constantly switching back and forth between the handler rankings, the judge preference page, and the Choose Handler page! XD

Question for all of you. I've noticed that maybe all of the Cardigans in the game right now are listed as some variation of Double Merle. I did some quick reading and discovered that DM is a dangerous trait in RL dogs that can often result in blindness, deafness, and other genetic problems. I thought about bringing in some source dogs and combining them with existing lines to work on breeding out the DM trait. Has anyone had success breeding with color in mind? Do SD genetics work like real life ones, i.e. breeding two merles yields a double merle?

Thanks all. It's good to be back. happy :)

Sarah
 Kelankins
Basic User

Basic User
1/6/2020 12:49:17 PM reply with quote send message to Kelankins Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Welcome back.
Yes many players colour breed with success to bring g back lost or rare colours.

On your breed page there is a link for the colour genetics used for that breed. But merle should work the same as rl avoiding breeding two merles if double merle isn't wanted. Although it has no effect on the dogs in the game.

-----
Last edited by Kelankins on 1/6/2020 12:52:30 PM
 AbleBaker
Basic User

Basic User
1/10/2020 4:41:54 PM reply with quote send message to AbleBaker Object to Post

Welcome back.
 good stuff
Basic User

Basic User
1/10/2020 5:08:18 PM reply with quote send message to good stuff Object to Post

Lol I remember that, picking out handlers was a pain.
 shinra
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/15/2020 1:36:34 PM reply with quote send message to shinra Object to Post

Yep - I'm currently working on starting a source bred line of cardigans to add diversity back up!
 Draig Cartref
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/16/2020 6:39:07 AM reply with quote send message to Draig Cartref Object to Post

I brought in brindle, blue brindle and sable with source dogs last year. Presently I have source dogs at SOP 30-40.
Let me know if I can help you with initial stock.
 Aerealana Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/4/2020 3:03:51 AM reply with quote send message to Aerealana Kennels Object to Post

I'm so glad! I haven't played in about a decade and I remember the days of having an entire folder of pages of judge preferences, and choosing handlers being almost a part time job! Glad it's gotten easier, much more glad I chose to come back, now!

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.