Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : new player
 Estivant
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/17/2020 3:30:40 PM reply with quote send message to Estivant Object to Post   

hi there all! i just wanted to introduce myself and solicit some advice. i'm interested in hounds, irl i have a bloodhound and a basset. in game i have bought a dog and created a bitch, and i have no idea where to go from here! i have played dog show sim games before, but each is so different and unique.

also, a question about naming etiquette. if i bought a pup from another player, should i include their kennel prefix in the name, or how does that work?
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
5/17/2020 3:42:16 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

Welcome! Always great to see new faces.

Unfortunately, you'll probably be best off forever home'ing (essentially deleting) the girl you made. New accounts are given the option to create source dogs that are (in my opinion) mistakenly labeled as starter dogs. Source dogs have terrible traits and are what people started from at the beginning of the game, or where breeds that don't have any dogs start again.

The quality of a dog on showdog is determined by their SOP. You will see the SOP next to their "genetic quality" on their page, on your kennel page or by going to the quick SOP page. Generally, the higher the better. You'll notice that the boy you bought is a 97.20, which is astronomically higher than the source bitch which is only 4.75!

You'd be best off buying dogs from other players. A lot of the time, if you private message breeders they would be happy to sell you dogs to show. A lot of the time we just forget to list sales. happy :)

Once you get some current SOP dogs, like the one you bought, you can session them to show. You can begin showing at age 15 days. You should session your dog every day until every trait (show obedience, muscle tone, coat condition) is at 20 which is the maximum. If you remain a basic account, I would recommend feeding the "Super Duper" dog rations, those will help those traits increase faster.

Once bitches are 30 days, you can breed them (for a limited time, your basic account will allow you to breed for a month), and have puppies of your own. Here's a great guide for some more in depth info:
https://www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=391848

Generally if you buy a pup from someone it's nice to include their prefix, but if they're not named when they're sold people are pretty much giving up that right. I usually include their kennel name out of courtesy but it's not required. happy :)

Sorry this got so long! Feel free to PM me anytime if you have any more questions (or if you want to switch to Brittanys wink ;))
 Estivant
Basic User

Basic User
5/17/2020 3:53:07 PM reply with quote send message to Estivant Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Thank you for the information! I did realize pretty quickly that my starter bitch wasn't gonna do much for me haha.

I also need to understand how to earn money. I did look at the new players guide post, but I was confused.

-----
Last edited by Estivant on 5/17/2020 3:53:47 PM
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
5/17/2020 4:00:47 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

Congrats on the upgrade!

Every day you get a login bonus which increases each day you log in. You'll also make some money off of show winnings.

How most of us make our money is by going to "Session/Salary Setting" under "Account Tools" on your kennel page. Go to option 4 (12 sessions, no salary) and select that. It seems counter-intuitive to ask for no salary but-

Tomorrow when the sessions reset you'll have 48 sessions. Use the ones you need, then sell the rest. You can do this by going to the sessions page and it'll be on the right. You'll get $5 per session, which is more than the salary you'd receive otherwise. happy :)

At first, money seems daunting but trust me it accumulates FAST. Most of us are sitting at nearly maxed out balances lol. I probably couldn't spend all my money if I tried. Debt also isn't an issue - it's easy to get out of and won't penalize you much.
 Estivant
Basic User

Basic User
5/17/2020 4:09:53 PM reply with quote send message to Estivant Object to Post

Great, thank you!!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/18/2020 12:13:29 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Nothing to add except

W E L C O M E !
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/18/2020 12:19:31 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

If you are interested in Afghan Hounds I have a lot for sale both in this kennel and Xizang.

As far as kennel names, I usually list my unnamed pups for sale WITH APPROVAL for 2 reasons:

1. People can offer $1 which is fine with me, and
2. I can name them before I sell them, with suggestions always welcome.

Welcome!
 Fluffbrain
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/5/2020 7:52:25 PM reply with quote send message to Fluffbrain Object to Post

I just bid on some, sorry if multiple bids show, but I have forgotten so much. As for names... how about Windfleet, Starwind, Khamsin or Simoom?

True Justice
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/6/2020 6:17:15 AM reply with quote send message to True Justice Object to Post

If you are interested in Black and Tan Hounds. I would be happy to set you up with three brood bitches of your choice.
 olderminni7
Basic User

Basic User
9/27/2020 5:22:09 AM reply with quote send message to olderminni7 Object to Post

this post has been edited 5 time(s)

Hey i am also new here.

-----
Last edited by olderminni7 on 9/27/2020 5:34:22 AM
 Canmore Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/27/2020 12:54:51 PM reply with quote send message to Canmore Kennels Object to Post

Welcome! Let us know if you have any questions or needs.
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/27/2020 10:39:04 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

Welcome!!.,

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.