Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Struggling Breed
 Regenhaus
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/29/2020 6:38:27 AM reply with quote send message to Regenhaus Object to Post   

Anyone else experiencing a loss of active players in there breeds? I just got back into Australian Cattle Dogs a month or two ago and now there are no entries for them. Weird to me as this has always been a fairly active breed.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/29/2020 9:42:55 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Yes! In some of my kennels a breed seems active and once I join and start showing, everyone is gone. I'm starting to take it personally.
 Whirlaway Welsh Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/29/2020 12:07:24 PM reply with quote send message to Whirlaway Welsh Terriers Object to Post

I’ve picked up a few breeds who were breeds in need in my extra Kennels just to keep them going and will drop them if I feel someone else is moving the breed forward. Nothing personal if it was you just it’s hard to keep up on all the Kennels I have plus a busy RL. I have been serious thinking of dropping all but my one family group of Kennels but hate to see breeds lost too.
 Regenhaus
Basic User

Basic User
5/30/2020 10:40:27 AM reply with quote send message to Regenhaus Object to Post

Glad that I am not the only breed, but sad to hear that this is happening in other breeds as well. It's a shame honestly.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/30/2020 12:40:24 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

From personal experience, perhaps these suddenly disappearing players may simply be overstocked and unable to do much of anything. It is sometimes very difficult to decide who goes and who stays - the 10 Gait or the 10 Forequarter.

Like Whirlaway, I've picked up a lot of breeds over the last few months that were in need of support. Some I've kept up, others I've had to let go or at least go dormant due to numbers for the time being. This is perhaps the new reality, I think were need to re-evaluate the 30 dog limit and perhaps even the 5 Basic limit.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 5/30/2020 12:46:20 PM
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/30/2020 12:54:59 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

-----
Last edited by BarStar on 5/30/2020 2:31:54 PM
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/30/2020 6:34:51 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

What I have been doing in my other breed is to have what I call Fillers. These are lower SOP champions that I would eventually FH. I put them on Old Boy or old Roy food, whatever it is called so their sessioning numbers drop.

Then when I want to finish a dog, they get entered using that judge’s least favourite handler.
Make sure the judge does not prefer to put up only champions though.
This is how I get majors.

Carol

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.