Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : What makes you go on?
 NorthDahl
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/15/2020 12:28:51 PM reply with quote send message to NorthDahl Object to Post   

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I'm back after about 18 months away from the game (I've been playing since 2012). I didn't realize how disappointed I'd be to learn that so many of the breeds I loved working on had reached 100. (But also, congrats to all of you who made it happen! Hells yeah!) I re-subbed two of my accounts a few days ago but now I'm struggling to decide which direction to go in.

I guess my question to you guys is, after your breed has reached 100, what's the point? Of all of the years I played, my goal was simple: to reach that coveted perfect SOP.

I did a few starter projects trying to bring back colors and that, but the sheer amount of time it takes to get anywhere makes it almost unreasonable. I put 2.5 years into one color project and just flat burnt out. I hated giving up, but I was beginning to resent the game and had to take a break.

I'm sad to see how many folks have left the game, but I also understand, having burnt out myself. But it makes getting started that much more difficult.

I can see how a reset would be devastating to users who have put years and years into their breeds. But I would like to know what makes you want to continue once you've reached perfection. What are your next goals for your kennel now that 100 has swept your breed?

I guess I'm just looking for a great reason to continue. I feel like I've been wandering around this game aimlessly the last few days trying to figure out what to do next.

-----
Last edited by NorthDahl on 6/15/2020 12:29:31 PM

-----
Last edited by NorthDahl on 6/15/2020 12:38:30 PM
 residential3
Basic User

Basic User
6/15/2020 8:30:45 PM reply with quote send message to residential3 Object to Post

I've been working since 2010 (off and on) to get a champion of every color of every breed. SOP doesn't really "matter" to this goal. With a top of 100, breeding a perfect score was never really a goal of mine...I had to find goals that were independent of SOP.

So it could be gaining a certain number of BIS, Gold Merits, etc. and not "bettering the breed."
 Fluffbrain
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/17/2020 12:34:22 PM reply with quote send message to Fluffbrain Object to Post

Welcome back... I'm newly back too, but I was gone for more than seven years. I don't remember all my kennel names, and only vaguely remember what I was doing, so I have one 99-100 breed that I KNOW I didn't have before, and one with room for improvement... I found a lot changed, and a lot of holes where no one seems to be running a breed at all. I remember the excitement when we got colours here...and COI was a huge concern. Strangely, I'm back.
 Slipping Shadows
Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2020 9:16:50 AM reply with quote send message to Slipping Shadows Object to Post

I just came back too. Doesn't look like the game has changed too much over the years...

Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2020 1:26:35 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Welcome back to all.

"Changes" depend on how long you've been gone. I'd guess the most significant has been the addition of Judges Profiles and how they relate to the handlers you might choose - or not choose.

I don't have any 100 breeds although I have one with a 98.8, so getting close (Airedale). I also have a few Pointers that have 99's although I only have a remnant left.

I think that in the case of 100 breeds I'd look for another and start again. We are at least blessed with a wide range of breeds and many who were once great who have fallen behind and need revival. This can work really well if you have access to a few high studs. Within breeds it can work with colours too where they have been lost. I've picked up Boston Terriers recently which had all but died out and the remnants still accessible were dominated by non-traditional/unrecognized colours.

Ultimately, consider your ShowDog self to be lucky compared to poor ShowHorse that has only ever had 5 breeds (lots of colours in some) and has all but been abandoned by Admin. Looking for a new project? Consider SH. Send me a note - I'll be honest. The situation is bleak.
 NorthDahl
Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2020 2:27:22 PM reply with quote send message to NorthDahl Object to Post

I played Showhorse for a while, I think the vast array of stats and the long gestation times were more than my patience could handle. Before I played any of these, I played showcat! I loved it, I was going to resub this time around and was bummed that it doesn't even exist anymore.

I spent several days looking through breeds to try, but honestly without any dogs for sale within the breeds I was interested in, and kennels not responding to me, I gave up. I don't want to participate in a breed whose kennels aren't friendly or supportive of each other.

I am happy my Labs haven't reached 100 yet, I'll continue with them. I wanted to get into Belgian Mals, but the only account with current SOPs didn't bother responding to my inquiry. The other two accounts are fabulous and very friendly, but they are both doing starter projects. I did begin a Mal starter account to join them. But one source dog breeding program is enough for me!

Love these answers. They have been helpful in coming up with new ideas! I hope more folks will respond. I hope we don't lose SD, this has been such a fun game.
 Fluffbrain
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/19/2020 11:55:08 AM reply with quote send message to Fluffbrain Object to Post

I did showcats too... and was quite successful there too. I had Scottish Folds, Burmese, and Russians... plus a stack of others that I don't remember. I was really sick about six years ago, and even died twice, so my memories have holes in them. Some things I have gotten back, like vocabulary and stuff like that, but other things are gone for good. Even now I can lose a word... It drives me nuts, but it is what it is....
 bsgkiddie
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/30/2020 7:37:42 AM reply with quote send message to bsgkiddie Object to Post

Try switching to newer breeds, or less popular breeds. I've been in the game since 2003 as bsgkid with Bulldogs. We are just now getting dogs that are all blue, and the highest SOP just cleared 90. Later, I started a second kennel as bsgkiddie with Pugs. Our highest SOP just cleared 97. At one point I had a family account with other breeds, but gave it up when so many left the game. I would love to have you in Bulldogs or Pugs. We currently only have 3 active kennels in each breed.
 Windgate
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2020 6:15:52 PM reply with quote send message to Windgate Object to Post

I had 2 breed (in another kennel) that reached 100 (Std. Poodles and Dobes). I left both breeds because there was no challenge to better what I had because there was no way to tell. Then the breed I had been in since 2003 just went away. Now have several breeds that are struggling. In another kennel I am trying to save the Sealyham Terrier but it is difficult. I feel like the developers have no interest in keeping the game interesting anymore.
 VomWisc
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/12/2020 10:07:44 AM reply with quote send message to VomWisc Object to Post

I started a small color project to try to keep me intrigued. It can be challenging to keep it going if you have a top breed and have no "improving" to do.

The color project I am doing is focusing on a color pattern that is common, but has lower SOPs and therefore is not finishing well. Im working with some other breeders (shoutout to the Beardie breeders on SD, because they rock and are willing to sell pups of certain colors to me and offer help when i ask) to really fine tune this color and get the SOPs up of the different color patterns.

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.