Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : Why are there so many judges?
 Wren9403
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/28/2020 10:22:16 AM reply with quote send message to Wren9403 Object to Post   

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I thought that they were supposed to retire at some point...? With so many, it makes it difficult to take advantage of those that have "a tendency to like dogs the more often they're seen", as they may only judge one or two all breed shows during a dog's entire show career.

-----
Last edited by Wren9403 on 6/28/2020 10:22:39 AM

-----
Last edited by Wren9403 on 6/28/2020 10:23:08 AM
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/28/2020 12:31:13 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Ah, the eternal question. Used to be, judges actually did retire and we had a smaller pool to pick from. You learned the likes and dislikes and could show accordingly. Now it a mish mash of every judge who ever judged on the site from what I can tell. Honestly, I just don't have the time to try to sort them out anymore. Some I remember from the good ol' days and sometimes I just enter dogs under owner handler judges because it's so much faster.

For me to go through each kennel and enter dogs and look up the judges each time takes hours.

It's probably my biggest pet peeve about the site these days.
 Aldeberan
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/28/2020 12:32:38 PM reply with quote send message to Aldeberan Object to Post

Something I have been wondering about, when it says "very political judge", do their preferences change depending on who is at the top of the handler list? Or do they like whatever handler was #1 at the time they were programmed?
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/28/2020 12:45:12 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I believe it's based on personality type between the judge and handler so a judge's handler list stays the same.

The handlers rank will change depending on their success, which is dependant on their skill but also on their best judges getting assignments. If their judges are currently doing lots of shows, they get more opportunities to do well. If their judges are not judging much they may drop in rank, although their skill will remain the same.

Although the judges are not retiring, they do seem to go through periods of reduced activity.

bsgkiddie
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/30/2020 7:13:49 AM reply with quote send message to bsgkiddie Object to Post

It STARTED as a pool of 40 judges. It looks like common core math now. Ha ha!

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.