Search

.com Forum · Boston Terrier

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Where is everyone?
 Jovileaboxers
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/22/2020 8:22:26 PM reply with quote send message to Jovileaboxers Object to Post   

I haven't played this game in years, but was surprised and saddened to see the overall lack of interest and quality in Boston Terriers. What's even more surprising is the number of Disqualifying colors in the breed. Colors that have never had a legitimate presence in the Boston, unless they were outcrossed to another breed. Black & Seal, with or without Brindle are the only acceptable colors. Red(liver) does occasionally show up in purebreds, but they are not allowed to be shown and should not be bred. Does this game penalize non-standard colors(as it should)?
Just wondering if I should even bother to try and improve the breed if the game isn't trying to be realistic.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/23/2020 8:42:29 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

It's the choice of the player to play as realistic as they wish.

If you don't want a DQ trait in your lines, you simply forever home it just like you would do in the real world.

Will
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/23/2020 8:43:35 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

And welcome back to the game.
 Jovileaboxers
Basic User

Basic User
7/23/2020 1:13:17 PM reply with quote send message to Jovileaboxers Object to Post

As far as breeding, sure you can stay true to the breed. But when showing, will my correctly colored dog beat an equal quality dog of a disqualifying color?
Id love to know what "breed experts" they talked to when deciding what colors to put in for Bostons. I've noticed that some breeds have disqualifying colors, and some breeds don't even have all the acceptable colors their standard allows.
 Wickised
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/23/2020 4:34:27 PM reply with quote send message to Wickised Object to Post

I breed Mudi in the game (they're my real life breed too) and when I started back up, most of the dogs were either colors that, while accepted, are not common in real life (ashbrown and ashbrown merle). I wanted to attempt to bring back black (and try to get solid black vs merle). It's dominate so at least it's easy to see if the dog has it! I contacted the other breeders asking for help getting black or ash dogs, and they were helpful in selling me dogs that met what I wanted. I had some starters too, but abandoned that project when I got enough black dogs that I didn't feel I needed them. For the most part, I just FH the dogs that aren't the color I want. I have kept a couple, because, of course, the best pup in the litter by far will be am ashbrown! But, I won't breed a litter knowing it will only produce ashbrown. So, you can play in the breed how you want to, and work to breed only the colors you prefer. It took a few months, but I'm just now starting to enter shows, my black dogs have caught up.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/24/2020 12:41:50 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I have a little Boston project - sort of dormant at the moment due to over-limit - as usual.

I'm trying to get away from the "odd" colours too but there seems to be a bias somehow and the best pups always seem to be the off colours. It can be done but its very uphill, especially when you are competing against other breeders who don't seem to share the "purist" philosophy, but that's the way it is.

It would be great to have someone else working the same angle!

I have some Bostons in these two accounts:

https://www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=gaylanstudio8

https://www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=Canmore+Kennels
(This one is a Basic.)

If there is anyone you'd like to breed to that isn't named/at stud. just ask, will fix!

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 7/24/2020 12:54:24 AM

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 7/24/2020 12:58:05 AM
 PicketFence Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/25/2020 8:22:48 AM reply with quote send message to PicketFence Kennels Object to Post

I have wondered this as well. Pretty much every show quality Cardigan right now is a double merle, which is a disqualifying color in RL, not to mention breeding two merles together can cause a host of health problems in RL dogs. I wouldn’t want that to be penalized here, because other breeders to whom color doesn’t really matter have worked hard to get their dogs to the quality they have. But I like to simulate a real kennel pretty closely, so I’m working on my own color project. Welcome back to the game!
 Jovileaboxers
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2020 1:53:33 PM reply with quote send message to Jovileaboxers Object to Post

How did the Boston breed loose it's top players? Can't seem to find any dogs that are even halfway decent. sad :(

But the upside is that we are all basically starting from scratch, so it will be challenging. My two starter bitches aren't quite old enough to breed yet, but in a couple days I'll be looking for stud dogs for them.

Thank you!
 Wickised
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/26/2020 2:21:45 PM reply with quote send message to Wickised Object to Post

posted by PicketFence Kennels
I have wondered this as well. Pretty much every show quality Cardigan right now is a double merle, which is a disqualifying color in RL, not to mention breeding two merles together can cause a host of health problems in RL dogs. I wouldn’t want that to be penalized here, because other breeders to whom color doesn’t really matter have worked hard to get their dogs to the quality they have. But I like to simulate a real kennel pretty closely, so I’m working on my own color project. Welcome back to the game!
Strange that some breeds tell you they're a double merle and others don't! I have to guess with the Mudi, if I breed to a solid and get all merle, I'll note it as a double merle possibility (since I'm trying for more solids).

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.