Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 21
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : for those who are in breeds with 100 sop...
 Pearl City
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/2/2020 2:52:25 AM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post   

For those who are in breeds that hit 100 SOP, how do you guys chose who gets shown? I get multiple 100s in a litter and I’m having a hard time deciding which to pick lmao. At this point I want to session all of them and see which is clearly the shower but realistically that’s not ideal. Any tips?
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/2/2020 9:41:41 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

When you find out, let me know.
 CloudCroft Poodles
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2020 3:19:09 PM reply with quote send message to CloudCroft Poodles Object to Post

I've decided to focus on my favorite colors. Impossible to tell how puppies rank until you name them and stick them in shows. So the first thing I do is name the ones I'm definitely going to keep and start them on sessions, and place the others up for sale. Any that haven't sold by the time they reach show age I either FH or name and stick into a show with their siblings to see how a judge ranks them. But the vast majority end up in FHs. Not much you can do unless there is another game reset. I'm striving for BIS as a goal now since there isn't much else to aim for.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/2/2020 4:02:41 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Breed only my very best and show all of them.

Will
 Pearl City
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2020 8:04:26 PM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post

I guess the easy solution is to just start off in another breed. But I have multiple family kennels dedicated to different breeds. And besides I like the breed and the breeders in them, so I don’t have it in me to leave. But a color project sounds like a nice alternative.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/2/2020 10:13:19 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Barstar the problem with that is than when you have a lot of show prospects you end up competing against each other.
 Marquetry
Basic User

Basic User
9/3/2020 3:00:31 PM reply with quote send message to Marquetry Object to Post

I have two breeds where nothing less than 100 will do. Undoubtedly it's not perfect, but I keep the lowest numbered 100 (puppy No. 1, for example) and FH the rest. Sometimes, if it's a breeding between two very successful dogs, I might keep a dog and a bitch.

Pearl City
Basic User

Basic User
9/4/2020 1:37:03 AM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I’m noticing too that I’m breeding less as well. Simply because I know I’m bound to get plenty of 100s, there’s no need for me to be going crazy with the litters whereas before I jacking up litters left and right in order to achieve an 100 sop. Now, I have more time to focus on showing and whatever else whereas before all that mattered was planning future litters (in my case).

I have still yet to win a SWC, or have multiple BIS (I think in my whole showdog.com career I’ve only ever won 1 BS) or have one of those dogs that just win at everything, or even make it to top dogs list. I feel like there’s still plenty to do, (again in my case).

-----
Last edited by Pearl City on 9/4/2020 1:41:24 AM
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/4/2020 10:43:25 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

With Aussies and Cavs, you have a good shot at getting more BISs.

Will
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/4/2020 10:45:09 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

posted by XiZang
Barstar the problem with that is than when you have a lot of show prospects you end up competing against each other.
That's where breeding only your very best comes in to play.

Unless you are breeding for color, there's no need to be doing more than a handful of better breedings a month to enjoy showing.

I find myself cutting back on breeding and being able to add a new breed to dabble in for fun.

Will
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/4/2020 1:38:39 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

But breeding is my favorite part! The excitement is mostly gone now but I'm still breeding more than I should. We all need counseling.
 CloudCroft Poodles
Basic User

Basic User
9/4/2020 6:39:59 PM reply with quote send message to CloudCroft Poodles Object to Post

I'm also striving for a perfect 200 in Obedience. So far my one girl is 5 for 5 HIT all scores over 195. She needs 1 more leg for her CDX then will take a litter break and work on her Utility sessioning.
 Pearl City
Basic User

Basic User
9/5/2020 1:27:48 AM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post

posted by BarStar
With Aussies and Cavs, you have a good shot at getting more BISs.

Will

Trust me, been in those breeds since 2010 lol. I recently came back from hiatus with all of the dogs gone so I’m starting again. Maybe this time around it might change. I haven’t been that successful in the past.

-----
Last edited by Pearl City on 9/5/2020 1:37:03 AM
 Pearl City
Basic User

Basic User
9/5/2020 1:38:55 AM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post

I’m curious tho, any players still from the 03’ 04’ days? I was looking at the all time top dogs list, most of these dogs have over 60,000 dogs beaten.. was there really that many dogs in the ring in those times???
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/5/2020 1:47:30 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

I started in 06. Shows were MUCH bigger then. Tons more players.... Also back then we could enter unsessioned dogs so it pushed the numbers up some as well.

If you had a good dog in a BIS winning breed and entered as soon as a show popped up on the calendar, you had a good shot at taking a BIS or Group win if you could land the right judges.

Will
 Wyredogs
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/5/2020 5:49:39 AM reply with quote send message to Wyredogs Object to Post

When I started in 2003, with my first Kennel, most dogs were only a generation or 2 above Source. Pretty colours indeed! Looking back, my first home bred Ch was only Generation 5.
There were larger shows, more dogs not fully sessioned entered, and such pride when you got a big win, or any win, for that matter.

C.

-----
Last edited by Wyredogs on 9/5/2020 5:53:07 AM
 Dark Mirage
Basic User

Basic User
9/5/2020 1:27:14 PM reply with quote send message to Dark Mirage Object to Post

Yeah, in the 'good old days' there were a TON of people playing. It was very competitive in most breeds-- you entered every show as soon as it became available or you wouldn't get a good handler/judge, and you never knew how good your puppies were until they were 10 days old. So you paid to feed the whole litter and may or may not have any worth keeping. Sessions were limited-- I remember sessioning one dog up at a time for awhile. Shows had thousands of entries. The chat was packed every night... it was fun.

-----
Last edited by Dark Mirage on 9/5/2020 1:27:59 PM
 Pearl City
Basic User

Basic User
9/6/2020 9:56:31 PM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post

I wished I was there during those times.. even in 2010 the site was pretty active! But with you guys saying you can pretty much enter shows without sessioning and the like, no wonder there was so many huge shows.
 Dark Mirage
Basic User

Basic User
9/7/2020 11:41:22 AM reply with quote send message to Dark Mirage Object to Post

You could enter without sessioning, which was needed as you pretty much entered the dog's entire career up to 120 days once he had 'settled' (as the stats kept changing up until 10 days old) or you wouldn't get decent judges/handlers! I remember lurking at the computer waiting for a promising litter to settle, then naming and entering the best pups as soon as possible before the good spots were all taken!
 cafelatte
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/7/2020 3:22:06 PM reply with quote send message to cafelatte Object to Post

I played in the early days too for a couple of years. shows were huge, lots of players, so lots of dogs showing and breeding. Most puppies got sold, not FHd as much as we must do now. The game was very active. It was also rather toxic with lots of drama at times in the live chat. Oh the squabbles and such. I get enough of that at real shows! don't need it in a game I go to, to relax. I see live chat is no more! lol

I came back in May, was able to buy some really good dogs for sale - like my 100 Standard poodle and she's already a multiple BIS winner.I also have several group winning dogs. This never happened in the old days. Took me over a year to get a group and BIS winner.

interesting how it has changed, all in all.
 Pearl City
Basic User

Basic User
9/7/2020 5:25:46 PM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post

What there be drama about tho??! This is honestly the most sanest game..

Replies in this thread : 21
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.