Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Gordon Setters
 pooh98
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
2/10/2021 8:13:14 AM reply with quote send message to pooh98 Object to Post   

I have been raising GS on here for the last 5-6 year. Pride myself in keeping them going. But I’m getting real low on good studs to keep the coi low.

Help please
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/10/2021 9:53:12 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

HI pooh!

If it will help I can board one or two boys for a while that you'd like to keep but can't because of numbers. I can't take on any more breeds at this time though.

I know about coi! I'm doing a revival with Weimaraners stating with just one "current" SOP stud. I've done some pretty close breeding but doing not bad now.

I have another revival project with Bostons and trying to preserve the approved colours (dominant) with two current studs. There were quite a few off colour ones around though.

Good luck.
 pooh98
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/12/2021 4:38:51 AM reply with quote send message to pooh98 Object to Post

Thanks Gaylan it’s a shame I can’t access some of the unused studs lol
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/12/2021 2:35:43 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Don't overly worry about COI.

It's not hard to overcome. Your COIs are extremely low at the moment. You can push a kennel average of 18% COI and still have kick butt dogs.

Will
 Woxie
Basic User

Basic User
2/12/2021 8:06:50 PM reply with quote send message to Woxie Object to Post

Thanks Will for that bit of information. I am relatively new and good information.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/12/2021 9:16:35 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

I have Afghan Hounds with COI as high a 30% that are 100 SOP.
 pooh98
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/13/2021 7:16:58 AM reply with quote send message to pooh98 Object to Post

posted by BarStar

It's not hard to overcome. Your COIs are extremely low at the moment. You can push a kennel average of 18% COI and still have kick butt dogs.

Will

pooh98
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/13/2021 7:17:27 AM reply with quote send message to pooh98 Object to Post

posted by pooh98
posted by BarStar

Thanks for that info
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/14/2021 6:59:48 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

posted by XiZang
I have Afghan Hounds with COI as high a 30% that are 100 SOP.
I am finding that after you have 3 or more gens of 100 SOP that COI seems to have much less influence on the offspring when you hit really really high numbers.

If you haven't hit 100 yet, it does slow you down your SOP improvement a little more when you are working with super high COIs.

Will
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
2/20/2021 8:46:44 AM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

I use the strategy of breeding *for* 15% COI, then once I get to 15%, going out...this keeps me with several options within the kennel for looser crosses.

So if I'm choosing between two studs and one gives a litter COI of 14% and one gives 2%, I'll choose the 14% this time--then take THAT back to the stud that gives 2%. In the meantime, 2% has been bred to his relative, for a followup kid that will produce a lower COI.

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.