pooh98
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
4/5/2021 4:31:06 AM reply with quote send message to pooh98 Object to Post   

pooh98
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/5/2021 4:32:09 AM reply with quote send message to pooh98 Object to Post

Are you best to use the handlers from the judges list or the ones from the right who have had the best success ?
 CityofDetroit
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/5/2021 9:50:41 AM reply with quote send message to CityofDetroit Object to Post

It’s usually best to use the most successful handlers from the list of the judges preference, especially if it is stated that the judge has a strong handler preference. Though I do know everyone does it their own way. Some will only pick the highest rate handlers regardless of judges list. Some will only do the top of the judges list regardless of handler rank. But as I said personally I find if works best considering both factors. Can always experiment a little and see what works best for you.
 pooh98
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/8/2021 2:27:41 AM reply with quote send message to pooh98 Object to Post

It’s just I used the best two handlers. The judge had no preference and I got beat by dogs that were lower scored than me and upon comparing I can’t understand why. But I guess that’s life lol
 residential2
Basic User

Basic User
4/8/2021 5:50:46 AM reply with quote send message to residential2 Object to Post

Can you post the show & breed?

If it's group placements, then some judges compare dogs to their breed so breeds with lower SOP get an advantage.
 CityofDetroit
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/8/2021 8:18:25 AM reply with quote send message to CityofDetroit Object to Post

The best two handlers or the best two handlers that that judge also prefers? As that greatly impacts things too. Also SOP is not the be-all of quality. Different judges have different trait preferences so they could definitely prefer a dog that’s of lower SOP and has traits that align with their preferences v the breeds trait preferences (breed traits also play a part- a dog with a sop of 95.0 can have traits that closer align it to breed standard in rank of trait importance that a dog with a sop of 95.2). Also some dogs seem to just be better “showers” than other. I have had plenty of lower than top SOP dogs that seem to dominate in the ring even against dogs that are higher SOP. And top SOP dogs that really seem to kinda stink at showing. Regardless of any identifier we are alerted to in their profile. I also believe that while we see a 9.2 or whatever for a trait the actual decimals used to determine that are longer, it just isn’t visible. Whether a dog is a CH already or not can factor. Whether a judge prefers certain breeds can factor. A whole lot of factors go into it, along with what I am assuming is a bit random chance (or luck if you prefer).
Just have to keep trying to play around with things. Wouldn’t be fun if it was just some cut and dry algorithm where the dogs just win in exact order of SOP.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.