Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Maybe get new breeds in a lottery again?
 bsgkid
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
6/26/2021 6:29:55 PM reply with quote send message to bsgkid Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I did some digging around on the AKC website today (https://www.akc.org/public-education/resources/general-tips-information/dog-breeds-sorted-groups/). Long story short, there are 22 AKC recognized breeds that Showdog does not currently use, listed below. As an aside, Showdog also uses 6 breeds NOT seen in the group lists (Thai Ridgeback, Alaskan Klee Kai, German Spitz, Portuguese Pointer, Caucasian Mountain Dog, and Estrella Mountain Dog).

I don't know if this has been brought up to admin in awhile. Does anyone know the proper etiquette to do so? We could phase in a few at a time perhaps?

I think the dates are when the breed was added to the group
Herding Group - Berger Picard 2015, Entlebucher Mountain Dog 2011,
Finnish Lapphund 2011, Icelandic Sheepdog 2010, Miniature American Shepherd 2015
Hound Group - American English Coonhound 2011, Bluetick Coonhound 2009, Cirneco Dell’Etna 2015, Sloughi 2016, Treeing Walker Coonhound 2012
NonSporting Group - Coton De Tulear 2014, Norwegian Lundhund 2011,
Xoloitzcuintli 2011
Sporting Group - Barbet 2020, Boykin Spaniel 2009, Wirehaired Vizsla 2014
Terrier Group - American Hairless Terrier 2016, Cesky Terrier 2011,
Parson Russell Terrier 1997
Working Group - Boerboel 2015, Chinook 2013

What do you guys think? It might spark some renewed interest?

-----
Last edited by bsgkid on 6/26/2021 8:02:37 PM
 Fourlorn
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/28/2021 2:15:07 AM reply with quote send message to Fourlorn Object to Post

I love the idea and can wish and dream but Jeff has basically said there’d be no more updates for the game. Sadly, I think we’re down to the last legs. :/
 Zoetic
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/28/2021 6:44:43 AM reply with quote send message to Zoetic Object to Post

Time to learn some programming and marketing I guess.
 Lunatic
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/28/2021 8:13:40 AM reply with quote send message to Lunatic Object to Post

I'd love if we could at least get the rest of the breed pictures for the breeds we do have. I think I remember reading they've been done for awhile...
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/28/2021 8:17:13 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

I had asked over two years ago about the Toy Poodle pics being uploaded. I don't think that will ever happen and it still bothers me.

Would love all of these new breeds as well but that's another dream.

edit, spelling

-----
Last edited by Comet Poodles on 6/28/2021 8:17:23 AM
 Fourlorn
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/28/2021 12:01:42 PM reply with quote send message to Fourlorn Object to Post

posted by Zoetic
Time to learn some programming and marketing I guess.
Man you're not wrong. I have come so close to trying to learn this crap so I could relaunch a new and improved SD type game. I feel like the people are still out there but there has to be a better way to appeal to their interest to get them on board. Heck, I've even advertised on FB. LOL
 Ozmyth
Basic User

Basic User
6/28/2021 4:55:09 PM reply with quote send message to Ozmyth Object to Post

Agreed

-----
Last edited by Ozmyth on 6/28/2021 5:26:28 PM
 MoonKennels17
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/1/2021 11:23:38 AM reply with quote send message to MoonKennels17 Object to Post

I adore this game. So if someone comes out with another game like this let everyone know! I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested.
 Pearl City
Basic User

Basic User
7/1/2021 7:24:06 PM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post

I use to play this game called babydow and howrse that have since been gone (well babydow has). But they were similar in the sense of virtual stimulation games..like this one. I’ve yet to find another like it and I’m afraid this game will be gone too. I don’t know what it is.. about these games that I love so much.. I guess because it mimics real life and I’ve always loved genetics.

-----
Last edited by Pearl City on 7/1/2021 7:34:17 PM
 Zoetic
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/3/2021 9:20:42 AM reply with quote send message to Zoetic Object to Post

I think the thing I really like and prefer about SD over other games is that it is a text-based game. It doesn't require you to press thousands of buttons in a half-hour period to train a dog (I played a game like that... so time consuming); it doesn't have childish and colorful graphics all over the pages; and it is closer to a real-life dog database and record-keeping site than a graphics-heavy "game", which I really like.

I can see how this caters to a very certain group and age, which is already within a very certain genre and niche, but I've tried to get my dog showing friends on it without a lot of success.

I just love the naming of dogs and building pedigrees and seeing them on the page (all text). It is also so different from entertainment sites nowadays whose reason for being is sensory overload.

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.