Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : 10 years in the making - my first dog show!
 Berry Brits
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/5/2021 9:19:08 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hi all -

I've been active and inactive on this website for years under many accounts, one of the first being Myths where I bred Pumis. I first found it in elementary school (11 years old! at the time the website mechanics didn't make a ton of sense lol) when I was unable to have a dog because we were living overseas. This site was my outlet for not having a dog, and I've been wanting to show dogs ever since!

Well, almost exactly 10 years later, I'm finally doing it! My 15mo Brittany bitch and I are entered in the Sacramento Kennel Club show this weekend. happy :) I'm so excited, this is a long-time dream finally coming true! I'm tearing up a little

I'm a first-time handler (don't qualify for juniors anymore haha) and this will be her first show too. I've just been going off of facetime advice from our breeder and who knows how we'll do but I wanted to share with you all. happy :) The userbase is pretty small nowadays so I doubt anybody is nearby but if you are... please please let me know! And post any first time show advice too laugh :D

Sanbar Yodeling Cowgirl "Jessie"
(no show pics yet, just of our backpacking adventures but I'll update this weekend)

-----
Last edited by Berry Brits on 7/5/2021 9:20:51 PM
 TR Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/5/2021 9:27:42 PM reply with quote send message to TR Kennels Object to Post

Good luck!
 Woxie2
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2021 1:15:53 AM reply with quote send message to Woxie2 Object to Post

Exciting!! Best of luck.
 jdoyle
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/6/2021 7:01:31 AM reply with quote send message to jdoyle Object to Post

Pretty girl and beautiful photos! Good luck in your first show! Just try to relax and have fun!
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2021 8:41:25 AM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

*gasp* Myths has returned.

Congrats! Your girl is absolutely stunning.

As for advice? Not much, just to remember to breathe happy :)
 Fingerprint
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/6/2021 11:32:02 AM reply with quote send message to Fingerprint Object to Post

This made my day. I am the other way around. I showed Afghans in the 60s-70s and again in the 90s. This site helps me deal with how much I miss it. So I am on the other end from you.

I remember the first time I went in the ring under a legendary judge, Mary Nelson Stephenson. I will never forget it. She grabbed my shaking hand and said, "Just breathe. It's you and your puppy, forget about us".

And your dog is beautiful. That first picture should be in a magazine, spectacular. I have been friends with David Frei for decades, he used to narrate Westminster. He still has a Brittany, I believe her name is Grace.

Good luck at your show, but mostly, have fun and soak it all in. It's a world I truly miss.

Congratulations!!!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/6/2021 1:18:16 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Excellent! Good luck and enjoy the experience!
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/6/2021 1:35:06 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

Have a wonderful time and if you have pics to share after the experience, please do! happy :)
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2021 5:51:58 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

Thanks for all the well wishes! I will post an update afterwards and do lots of breathing during the show. wink ;)
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2021 9:47:53 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

Updating-

The show went great! 1st in class of 4. Jessie was an absolute rock star, did everything I asked her to, stood so perfectly still while stacking AND during the judge exam (which was my concern!).

I didn't put her back legs far back enough for the stack unfortunately, I think that might've cost us because the judge was looking at us pretty close for reserve winners wink ;)

-----
Last edited by Berry Brits on 7/13/2021 9:48:46 PM
 Woxie1
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2021 10:07:44 PM reply with quote send message to Woxie1 Object to Post

BIG congratulations ??
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/14/2021 1:59:22 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Congratulations!
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/15/2021 7:22:00 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

Congrats! She looks great, and glad you had a nice time happy :)
 PicketFence Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/16/2021 9:24:55 AM reply with quote send message to PicketFence Kennels Object to Post

This is fantastic! Congratulations!!!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/16/2021 4:05:15 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Just my analysis based on the grass shot:
Try bringing your bait hand a little closer to her nose, ideally straight in front or a little below rather than above, keeping her head up. She should then lean into her front dropping her rump and straightening her topline (her back feet will appear further back).

By the way, I don't know who your photographer is but your pictures are gorgeous - fantastic scenery!

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 7/16/2021 4:10:41 PM
 Whirlaway Welsh Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/27/2021 10:48:23 PM reply with quote send message to Whirlaway Welsh Terriers Object to Post

Congrats
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/9/2021 11:55:59 AM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

Extremely nice Brittany, love her markings, I have a weakness for spaniels with a solid saddle!

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.