Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Lots of spam
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
8/23/2021 3:21:53 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post   

I've noticed lately lots of spam on the forums...not sure how this is being combatted...any thoughts?
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/23/2021 4:37:02 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

I send messages, with links, to Staff under Contact Us.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/25/2021 1:41:32 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I have thought about ways to combat this issue - it's becoming very annoying and I suspect it's mostly one individual who's responsible for it all.

So, my thoughts:
1. First create a "New Users" information document (this may already exist somewhere) and send it to every new account. This should cover "Acquiring your first dog".
2. Make this a one month provisional account.
3. Limit all "Provisional" accounts to the "Beginners forum" only for posting until they have shown some record of participation - they have acquired a dog, shown it X number of times. There would have to be an accounting of this somewhere, a point system of some sort - there may already be some place for this among the user stats. Perhaps also limit them to one post per day during this provisional period.

There would have to be a balance that makes it too much time and effort to spam all the various forum groups at once, yet makes it fairly easy for a genuinely interested new player to get the information they need to get a good start - not just their "First Starter Dog".

4. A subscription would immediately remove the "Provisional" account flag so Jeff would at least get his 5 bucks worth that month.

5. Automatically remove any "Provisional" post after a week unless it is receiving input from "regular" accounts. If we do not comment they will go away faster.

Now whether Admin considers any of these "do-able", in the current environment is another mater. Just some ideas . . .
 Rossett Spaniels
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/26/2021 9:43:51 PM reply with quote send message to Rossett Spaniels Object to Post

Never send a message to trolls. They will continue.
Please continue to just ignore them,
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/27/2021 4:07:17 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

posted by gaylanstudio
I have thought about ways to combat this issue - it's becoming very annoying and I suspect it's mostly one individual who's responsible for it all.

So, my thoughts:
1. First create a "New Users" information document (this may already exist somewhere) and send it to every new account. This should cover "Acquiring your first dog".
2. Make this a one month provisional account.
3. Limit all "Provisional" accounts to the "Beginners forum" only for posting until they have shown some record of participation - they have acquired a dog, shown it X number of times. There would have to be an accounting of this somewhere, a point system of some sort - there may already be some place for this among the user stats. Perhaps also limit them to one post per day during this provisional period.

There would have to be a balance that makes it too much time and effort to spam all the various forum groups at once, yet makes it fairly easy for a genuinely interested new player to get the information they need to get a good start - not just their "First Starter Dog".

4. A subscription would immediately remove the "Provisional" account flag so Jeff would at least get his 5 bucks worth that month.

5. Automatically remove any "Provisional" post after a week unless it is receiving input from "regular" accounts. If we do not comment they will go away faster.

Now whether Admin considers any of these "do-able", in the current environment is another mater. Just some ideas . . .

I like the concepts you’ve put forward. Not sure if it will happen but I’d love to see some combats.
 Starlite and the Stars
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/30/2021 10:41:25 PM reply with quote send message to Starlite and the Stars Object to Post

I wish someone (Jeff, admin, someone) would go through & delete all the SPAM posts. As long as they still exist, there's a chance someone (a kid for example) will cluck on something they shouldn't.
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/4/2021 8:59:49 AM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

Looks like spam posts have been deleted.

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing