.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 10

Author Topic : Very political judge chooses owner-handled
 Xkwizit
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/7/2022 7:49:45 AM reply with quote send message to Xkwizit Object to Post   

Is this a glitch?

Charles Wilson is a "very political judge, likes to see certain handlers on dogs", and yet the majority of his group-placing dogs in this show are owner-handled.

https://www.showdog.com/shows/group_results.aspx?show=Jester%20Dogs%20239th%20All%20Breed%20Show

BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/7/2022 1:26:51 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Yes, that show is glitched. Just a hiccup that happens on occasion.

Will
 Fingerprint
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/7/2022 2:19:57 PM reply with quote send message to Fingerprint Object to Post

Now you tell us!!!
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/7/2022 2:21:47 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

And not just owner-handlers, all kinds of weirdo handlers who have never shown before.
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/7/2022 5:06:05 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

-----
Last edited by Clwyd Cockers on 1/7/2022 5:07:22 PM
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/8/2022 8:29:56 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

posted by Fingerprint
Now you tell us!!!
It's so random when this happens. First give away is when the group winners are source dogs. lol
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/8/2022 11:22:34 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

Personally I don't think this is actually a "glitch". Pretty much every time these "odd" results show up, if you check the judge's profile, you will see:

"Thinks dogs should be compared to how good they are vs the rest of their breed rather than overall quality vs all dogs."

Perhaps we are giving too much weight to the political-ness of judges and skill of handlers and not enough to the quality of the dog within its breed.

Just sayin' . . .

Edit:
So just taking a closer look at Ibizans in this show. There are several close source entries and a few much more advanced. I still think the key to this is in the above but perhaps the "glitch" is in the way the game interprets the "overall quality vs all dogs". Perhaps its an "average" of the dogs entered and in this case the "top" Ibizan is better than the "average" Ibizan in this show. Perhaps it needs to determine the BEST Ibizan first and then . . . oh I don't know! Quite a puzzle . . .

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 1/8/2022 11:45:35 AM

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 1/8/2022 11:48:04 AM
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/8/2022 2:00:29 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

posted by gaylanstudio
Personally I don't think this is actually a "glitch". Pretty much every time these "odd" results show up, if you check the judge's profile, you will see:

"Thinks dogs should be compared to how good they are vs the rest of their breed rather than overall quality vs all dogs."

Perhaps we are giving too much weight to the political-ness of judges and skill of handlers and not enough to the quality of the dog within its breed.

Just sayin' . . .

Edit:
So just taking a closer look at Ibizans in this show. There are several close source entries and a few much more advanced. I still think the key to this is in the above but perhaps the "glitch" is in the way the game interprets the "overall quality vs all dogs". Perhaps its an "average" of the dogs entered and in this case the "top" Ibizan is better than the "average" Ibizan in this show. Perhaps it needs to determine the BEST Ibizan first and then . . . oh I don't know! Quite a puzzle . . .

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 1/8/2022 11:45:35 AM

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 1/8/2022 11:48:04 AM

If that's true, then it should happen more often than it does, as with this judge today that has the preference you are referring to:

https://www.showdog.com/shows/show_results.aspx?show=Caulfeilds+Jan+8+All+Breed+Show

I'm pretty sure it's a site hiccup. It's actually hilarious but nice when breeds that don't get put up often win the group or the show.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/8/2022 2:14:10 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Gaylan,

There were high 90 sop Ibbies in the same show so I would have thought they would have gone up over the source bred dog.

Either way it adds a little bit of unpredictable results to the game just like the real world judges can pull. laugh :D

Will
 Xkwizit
Basic User

Basic User
1/10/2022 10:55:53 AM reply with quote send message to Xkwizit Object to Post

Here's another unexpected one:
https://www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=Jimbos+Pad+Tournament+11&breed=French+Bulldog

Richard Mitchell "has a tendency... but isn't overt in it" with preference for bitches and picked an owner-handled dog with 18 OB over a female with a good handler and 20 OB.

gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/10/2022 1:59:15 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Mr Mitchell also;
"Thinks dogs should be compared to how good they are vs the rest of their breed rather than overall quality vs all dogs".

In any case, the girl is due on the 13th which means ahe was bred on or about the 7th, so that would have been an issue too. She probably got a little note from Mr Mitchell . . . I suspect this may be the primary reason for her loss to the male.

As Barstar noted earlier - just adds a bit of realism and unpredictability.

Replies in this thread : 10

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing