Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : What happens when a pregnant bitch passes?
 Sunwing
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
11/21/2022 8:00:37 AM reply with quote send message to Sunwing Object to Post   

I'm not new to the game, but never been in this situation lol and this is the closest thing SD has to a help forum.

I'm used to games where things "freeze" when a female is pregnant (as in she won't go infertile/pass/etc. until after whelping) so this was somewhat unexpected. Not sure if it's a bug or if it's just bad timing?
 .LYNX
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/21/2022 8:01:50 AM reply with quote send message to .LYNX Object to Post

It's kinda realistic here where if the female is deceased while pregnant, the pups are never born and her page will always read deceased and pregnant.

Sunwing
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/21/2022 8:04:34 AM reply with quote send message to Sunwing Object to Post

That sounds uncomfortable lol. Thanks for the info! Glad I was able to get 2 litters out of her beforehand at least.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/21/2022 10:59:10 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Sort of related to this topic but regarding males:

If you find a deceased male that was listed for sale before dying without approval, you can buy him, breed him and have viable litters. You have to have a bitch ready before you buy though as he will very likely die again that night.

So, if you find such a male that you can use in a recovery project, colour and/or breed, you must put him back up for sale, no approval again right away.

You can not use the "Quick List". You must use the "Place up for sale" without approval (the owner "Deceased" does not exist to approve the sale). By putting him back in the sale you can revive him over and over.
 Key Largo Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/23/2022 1:59:46 PM reply with quote send message to Key Largo Kennel Object to Post

Very Interesting GaylanStudio's.
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/23/2022 4:32:45 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

Die again... I love it. Would make for some great pup names.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/23/2022 8:31:10 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Yes. When I started on the smooth Dachshund recovery project I resurrected a particular smooth boy several times - every few days in fact as the girls beame breedable. Lol!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/24/2022 7:41:24 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Hmm, just had a thought for an interesting experiment.

I'm going to try breeding an old girl until she dies pregnant and for sale then see if she gives birth and how old the pups are. I wonder if they will age from their expected birth date or the day they actually are born.

Lol!

Found a 500 some day old girl - waiting for her to die.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 11/25/2022 1:04:38 PM
 Sunwing
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/29/2022 11:55:30 AM reply with quote send message to Sunwing Object to Post

posted by gaylanstudio
Sort of related to this topic but regarding males:

If you find a deceased male that was listed for sale before dying without approval, you can buy him, breed him and have viable litters. You have to have a bitch ready before you buy though as he will very likely die again that night.

Thanks so much for this info! I'm trying to revive an old line and found a deceased sale dog that is only 20 gens from several of my old dogs AND isn't related to current dogs! Took a lot of Pedigree searching but so glad I had this info going in.
 Hope Springs Park
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/2/2022 8:11:54 PM reply with quote send message to Hope Springs Park Object to Post

posted by gaylanstudio
Hmm, just had a thought for an interesting experiment.

I'm going to try breeding an old girl until she dies pregnant and for sale then see if she gives birth and how old the pups are. I wonder if they will age from their expected birth date or the day they actually are born.

Lol!

Found a 500 some day old girl - waiting for her to die.

Update - 22/12/02
I'm wondering if pregnancy is at least somewhat protective from death. I resurrected this girl and bred her. She is due at 10:30 tonight at 458 days.
https://www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=17778666
 Sunwing
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/2/2022 11:24:49 PM reply with quote send message to Sunwing Object to Post

Might just be lucky? My girl was 499 days when she passed literally on the day she was due. I think 500 days was about the lifespan of my breed, maybe yours is longer since it's a smaller breed?
 GaylanStudio4
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/6/2023 8:14:54 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio4 Object to Post

Some time ago I started an experiment - it's taken a long time to hit the precise circumstances - timing is everything. I finally have results!

So, here is the answer:
If you breed a very old bitch and she dies while pregnant, if you have listed her for sale with no approval beforehand, you can buy her back and she will have puppies. In my particular example she was just a few hours past her due date and she had a healthy litter of five within a few minutes of resurrection. The official date and time of birth is as it would have been had the process not been suspended.

It took a long time to set up. I have produced several fine litters from geriatric mothers who successfully got through the pregnancies. At approximately 444 days she passed, two days before the due date. I brought her "back" this morning.

For this to work, you must use the "Plaee up for sale" not the "Quick List", which seems to disappear when they die. You must make it "No Approval" too because they go to the "Deceased" account and there is no one there to approve the sale. For those who are working with endangered breeds, this could be used to help future revivalists. Quitting and leaving a rare breed? A thoughtful tactic for those who might want to revive the breed in the future..

----------------------------
I couldn't find where this discussion started until now so the result above was also posted in the Alpha discussion.
-----------------------------

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.