Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 15

Author Topic : Should the Facebook Chat group only be for paid players?
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
12/23/2022 7:53:56 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post   

Should the Facebook Chat group only be for paid players?
No 86.21%
Yes 13.79%
16 Total Votes | Votes from premium users carry more weight.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/23/2022 8:28:47 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I'm not sure.

How much control do you have on this?

Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/23/2022 9:00:37 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

What's the point? I think we all chat here just fine.
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/23/2022 9:00:37 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

double post

-----
Last edited by Comet Poodles on 12/23/2022 9:00:45 PM
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/23/2022 10:23:22 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

We had been discussing a chat place.

If most people just want to chat here, that’s fine.

There is no chat room.

Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/23/2022 10:23:52 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

posted by gaylanstudio
I'm not sure.

How much control do you have on this?

Not sure what you mean, Gayle.

Basic User

Basic User
12/23/2022 10:39:08 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I'm not sure of the pros/cons of adding a ShowDOG-independant chat or FaceBook group.

An actual Chat group maybe has some points as it's more immediate and back and forth oriented and allows multiple folks to easily join the discussion. I don't believe chat comments are permanent (I could be wrong) but that would make it more welcoming for someone who just wanted to get some feedback or whatever on a thought - like a telephone call in writing . . .

I think FaceBook may be more accommodating to the posting of pictures and such. I don't believe the image needs to be hosted on a website first as is the case with the forums.

The present ShowDog forums are very convenient!

I'm also have no idea of what's involved in setting up and maintaining either of these communication tools but I would certainly commend anyone who wanted to try. It would just be one more enrichment of the site.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/23/2022 10:47:37 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Me above^

"How much control do you have on this?"
I was thinking about "unruly" drop-in/spam posters. Can you cut them off - that sort of thing.

Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/24/2022 11:38:09 AM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

posted by gaylanstudio
Me above^

"How much control do you have on this?"
I was thinking about "unruly" drop-in/spam posters. Can you cut them off - that sort of thing.

Oh, quite a lot.
If it is a Closed group, people can see it but not the posts or who members are.
The admission questions would keep them out.

A Secret group can be found by no one. One would need the link to be able to request to join.

Carol
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/24/2022 11:42:31 AM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

https://www.guidingtech.com/facebook-closed-secret-group-vs-private-differences/

This explains the changes to Groups on Facebook.

As to who runs it?

I can start it and find some people here to be Admins.
Having just one person manage it is not smart.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/24/2022 12:35:42 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

If you had a group of a few admins who were active in the group, and the group was closed, it would stop people who weren't serious about the game/the discussions from joining, because if you had to commit to giving your IRL name and such on Facebook to join the group, I feel like only serious players would join. I think in that case it would be fine for basics to join because if they really wanted to participate in the conversations they could.

I think Facebook Messenger allows you to create "rooms" in your groups, too. so maybe the group could exist just for the purposes of hosting the chat room.
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/24/2022 4:10:21 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

Thanks for explaining its purpose for this community, but I got rid of my Facebook account in 2018 so I have no further input. Enjoy, to those who join happy :)
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/24/2022 9:00:04 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

What is the advantage to going offsite to FB as opposed to staying on this site and doing a chat here? Either one works for me, just wondering. I think a lot of people would either not want to go to FB or if they aren not members, would not want to have to join for the chat.
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/26/2022 12:01:29 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

Tarot, there is no chatroom here, just the forums.

I think you meant the forums though.

This is why I asked about a FB page, to get input from others.

Carol
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/27/2022 12:19:39 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

So, not sure how this is going to work out. I've never been a big FB, Twitter, or whatever user but I think perhaps if we can get this to work with several frequent users (SD users) to monitor/police the content I think it could actually become an asset to the game. (I did have a FB account at one time.)

I also voted here for it to be open for all users. I think we need to include the Basics as everyone starts out as a Basic. It is part of creating a welcoming environment for new folks and dabblers.

Again, not sure what's involved but think I'd be willing to try a few shifts as monitor and srr how it works out.
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/27/2022 10:26:24 AM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

I did create another poll here in General asking if we should or should not have a FB group where we can chat.

I should have asked that first before asking whether it should be for paid members or everyone.

Carol

Replies in this thread : 15

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.