Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Handler Names
 Thomas’
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
3/10/2023 9:45:57 AM reply with quote send message to Thomas’ Object to Post   

Some of these handler names really test my ability to pronounce them. Like Jene Moak. How are we pronouncing that? Is in Gene Moke, or Jennie Mo-ack, or something else? What about Robert Pouk? Is it is Poke, Pook, or Powk?

Just a thing I wonder about at 3 AM.
 Sunwing
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/10/2023 10:48:29 AM reply with quote send message to Sunwing Object to Post

lol I was saying Moke and Poke but now thinking I could be wrong. I always thought Jene was the same as "Jean"
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/10/2023 12:11:54 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

My biggest issue, the one that keeps me awake at night, is whether Maret Gentile is male or female!!!
 CzarinaTerriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/10/2023 3:05:48 PM reply with quote send message to CzarinaTerriers Object to Post

posted by XiZang
My biggest issue, the one that keeps me awake at night, is whether Maret Gentile is male or female!!!
I do believe Maret was originally a French surname but traditionally as a first name was considered feminine, though as gender associations are completely relative and subject to change according to current trends/preferences is still possible they are male as the origins of the name of the same isn’t necessarily gendered. Though I do personally envision a French lady.
 Thomas’
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/10/2023 4:19:10 PM reply with quote send message to Thomas’ Object to Post

Personally, I see Maret as a southern boy with his mama's maiden name as a first name. Very Ole Miss freshman class.

I would be so interested in a deep dive of the origin of the handler and judge names.
 CzarinaTerriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/10/2023 8:31:09 PM reply with quote send message to CzarinaTerriers Object to Post

I can definitely see that too now that you have said it.

And one thing I think we can all agree on is Julie Patton and Justin Moyer have a thing. They are always on each others heels on the rankings board.
 Boodie Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/12/2023 10:36:34 PM reply with quote send message to Boodie Kennels Object to Post

posted by CzarinaTerriers
I can definitely see that too now that you have said it.

And one thing I think we can all agree on is Julie Patton and Justin Moyer have a thing. They are always on each others heels on the rankings board.

laugh :D laugh :D this thread was quite the chuckle . I've always envisioned Maret as a lady until now .. laugh :D and now pondering if the pronunciation of the names have been correct.

Justin and Julie definitely have a thing going on. For YEARS they have been in competition, one behind the other.

Now searching and looking at all my favorite handlers to see if I can tell gender and say their name correctly laugh :D.

-Jonathan
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/13/2023 12:22:06 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Someone some years ago posted a bit of a "biography" for Maret. They was a she then - lol.

I've often thought it might be fun to make up biography for the various judges - most real life judges have a biography somewhere.

We could maybe post them and then vote for the one we liked best.
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/13/2023 12:32:58 AM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

I definitely see Maret (MARit) as an older lady who is American but spent her childhood in Normandy, returning to the US as a teenager. She has been a dog lover all her life and has had many breeds over the years. She dressed quite elegantly in the show ring.
 Carolyn
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/13/2023 3:39:06 PM reply with quote send message to Carolyn Object to Post

June and Edna Dixon are sisters, in my imagination. They live together in the English countryside. They are in their 60s and used to be professional handlers at one time. These days Edna owns Chihuahuas and sister Edna owns a St Bernard
Just picture that!

LOL
C

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.